Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aggie update.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, I've gigged my new DB750 at two outdoor gigs, and it sounded fine. Last night was my first indoor gig with it, and I really started liking the tone. It was clean, but a little warmer than my WT-800. Just some really nice round tones.

Nosir, it's still not going to supplant my Eden rig (I play it through my D-410XLT), but any potential regrets I may have had are long lost now. Great head!

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Now that's always a good thing

3. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    So aggies are warmer than eden's, eh?
    I'll have to find a way to try one of those heads out!

4. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    aggies are definitely warmer than edens (well, the ones based on the 659 preamp anyway). The 750 has a certain "something" in the tone that the eden can't dupe despite the eden's superior tonal flexibility.

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well put. The EQ section on the DB750 is nowhere near as versatile as that of the WT series, but the three extra tubes in the preamp make a big difference if you're looking for a more "creamy" tone.

6. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Could you give me the likes or dislikes and maybe more differences between the Ag 750 and the Eden WT 800?

I also own the Eden WT 800 and go through two Eden D 410 XLT's and have thought about trying the Ag 750 because of the extra tubes in the pre but, I don't have a place around me to really try one out and don't know if it's worth it. I really love the Eden tone and the EQ section on it is the best I've worked yet.

Thanks in advance.

7. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    munji can give you more detail but............
    the 750 is loud - very very loud
    the volume on small amps like eden, swr, the aggie 500, stewart and qsc plx amps is incredible. However, a heavy solid state MOSFET amp like the 750 is scary loud with tons and tons of headroom. Something like 900 watts at 2 ohms. They told me that it puts out around 475 watts at 8 ohms, and to match that volume thru an 8 ohm 4x10 i had to bridge my stewart 2.1 @ 1300 watts.
    As far as tone goes the aggie is definitely "woolier". Like a demeter, the tone controls sound good no matter where you put them. Even though the demeter is passive and the aguilar is tube driven active i still find this to be true. Not that you can't adjust your tone, but not to the extent you can with the powerful semi parametric eden eq. I have a demeter 201 and i got a parametric eq to use with it (which i'm sure is a common thing for people to do with the aggie 750). I got some great sounds out of it. Funny thing is, i didnt end up using it very much. Once the band started up i found the demeter sounded great. I think that would be a common experience with the aggie as well. As far as flat tone goes, the eden is a little "tighter" sounding while the aggie has a bit more depth and character to the tone. Both sound good IMO.

8. 2cents worth.
    My Demeter 201s is EQ handicapped all right but it sounds great with a great sounding bass and clear tight cab. I only sometimes add some bass and presence when needed. I also popped for some NOS Telefunken tubes and "oh Momma" does it sound fat and clear. Even the current production pre tubes sounded good. I really like the Dem201s. I was going to a parametric EQ also, but it sounds fine live just as is.

9. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hey big.............how much did those telefunkens run ya? and where did you get em?

10. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I think IvanMike captured the essence of the differences between the WT-800 and the DB750. If you like the sound of your Eden rig, it's going to take a while to get used to the sound of the Aggie. I've played it at four gigs now, and it's really growing on me. The reason the Aggie sounds good with pretty much any EQ settings is that the EQ doesn't change much. You can get decent tone through practically the entire range of each EQ control.

On the Eden, I seldom venture out of the range between 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock on the EQ knobs. Usually I just run the WT-800 or WT-300 flat with the enhance control at about 9 o'clock (a lot of people do this). Then I control my tone with the active EQ on my bass. The Eden is excellent for this. On the Aguilar, whatever tone you set, it's going to have at least a hint of that furry tube sound. For Edenophiles like me, that's what takes some getting used to (forgive my hanging preposition, but these days it's becoming more acceptable).

11. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    One more question about the WT 800 vs DB 750, is the DB 750 as loud or louder than the WT 800 when used with the same cabs? As I mentioned earier, I am running two 8 Ohm D-XLT 410's.

Munji, like you said on the Eden, you don't have to run much EQ with it. I am like you in that I'm only a couple of detents away from the 12 o'clock position but unlike you and most others, I have found my best tone with the Enhance control set at almost the 1 o'clock position with a variety of basses. I do try and find a middle ground on my amp that is sutible for all my basses and then EQ on the basses themselves to get it where I want.

I do agree that after playing the Eden for about six years, anything will sound different. I really do love the Eden tone and will never change my mind about that but, like just about everyone else, I would love to try out something new. I'm not looking at replacing the Eden at all, I just want a good backup and also for something a little different to use once in a while. I just wish I could try one out with my cabs at the normal volume I play at on stage.

Thanks everyone for the help.

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, with your two 8-ohm cabs, you're getting about 240 watts a side for a total of 480 watts, more or less. The same cabs with the DB750 would give you all 750 watts at 4 ohms total. So yeah, the DB750's going to be louder. The D-410XLTs are rated at 700 watts each, so they should relish the additional power. At 2 ohms, the DB750 cranks out 975 watts.

WRT running your enhance knob at 1 o'clock, I like that sound too, but in a gigging situation you lose the mids that put you solidly in the mix. A lot of folks turn the enhance knob all the way down.

I like the Eden sound so much, it was a big (I mean BIG) crap-shoot to buy the Aggie without ever having played one. I bought it after hearing one at an outdoor concert at a small tourist-trap shopping center my daughter and I like to visit. I really like the sound of it (in fact, I hired that band to play at our company's holiday party in December), but didn't stop to think that it wasn't "my tone." So it's taken me four gigs to adjust my ear to the Aggie sound. Now I'm afraid that when I go back to the Eden, I may end up trying to get the Aggie sound, which isn't going to happen.

13. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Here's another interesting thought. If you bridge your WT-800 into one of your cabs, you'll get all 800 watts. The DB750 into one cab is going to put out about 500 watts. Go figure.

14. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Thanks for the kudos munji.........BTW, I now own 72% of aguilar :p
    I think i have to stop reading these threads because i really stopped wanting a 750 for a while and this isn't helping. As far as the continuing volume question, let me reiterate - the 750 is LOUD. Like i said before the 750 at 425 watts into an 8 ohm 4x10 was close to every bit as loud as my stewart 2.1 at 1300 watts bridged into the same cabinet, and the stewart eats the wt-800 for lunch when it comes to volume.
    And i agree 110% with Munji about the enhance knob setting. It sounds really cool at 12 o'clock but you dissapear once the whole band gets going due to the mid cut. I use mine at 9 o'clock or lower on gigs. (At home i occasionally put it at 12 o'clock and pretend to be good at slapping when no one is looking) :p

15. bassvegas

bassvegas

Jul 6, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV

I wonder if my WT400 would benefit much with a NOS Telefunken tube? Have any Edenites on this thread tried this? Thanks!

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    good stuff, MJ,

next thing you know it, you might be getting a pair of Agg 1x12's. :eek: