Aggresive finger tone?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Sep 18, 2006.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    ANy examples of aggresive fingertones? Where the bass can cut through the mix without being too overwhelming...

I can only think of Racer x - scarified, juan alderete w his jazz bass....any other?

2. clockworkwar

clockworkwar

Mar 20, 2006
    England
    Iron Maiden - Steve Harris, he has quite an aggresive approach to bass but it works perfectly fine for their music.

3. Billy Gould of Faith No More, I've been listening to a lot of him recently. It's hard to tell where his slapping ends and his fingerstyle begins, there's so much emphasis on the upper mids, I love it.

Flea would also fit this bill.

4. Steve DiGiorgio can have a very aggressive finger tone if he wants to.

5. Jimi1976

Jimi1976

Sep 17, 2006
    Chicago
    The first bassist that popped into my head when I read "aggressive finger tone" is GEDDY LEE. Even though he's an extremely famous bass player, I STILL think he's one of the most overlooked bass talents.

6. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    i like low action so you get some clack when you dig in.

7. kimstevens

kimstevens

Nov 12, 2002
    Geddy lee has said that he uses fingernail in his stroke.

8. +1

Don't forget John Wetton!(angry god tone):mad:

9. Sheehaaaaaaan.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

John Entwistle. He used a lot of pickstyle early on (most of Live at Leeds was done with a pick) but later switched to his so-called "typewriter" method, where he struck straight down with his right-hand fingertips. This caused the strings to slap the end of the fretboard, giving piano-like tone: strong attack, rich in harmonics. See the "Kids Are Alright" DVD, and look for the more recent tracks such as Baba O'Reilly in which Ox plays his Alembics.

Amplifier setup is another part of the equation... but that's been covered in other sub-forums.

Yessss!!

11. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    Jack Bruce on Live Cream and especially the live cuts on Goodbye Cream.

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Three for the mention here, but I could go on...

Geddy Lee, first of all. The guy just has that..."roar" in his tone that comes from the way he picks. Simply awesome.

Stanley Clarke and Jonas Hellborg are a couple of players who have both used the whole "hard plucking" thing to great effect over the years, particularly Jonas. At times, they both pluck so hard it sounds close to a pop with the string bouncing off the neck. A perfect example of this would be the second bass track in "Northpole English" from Jonas' "Elegant Punk" album. froma bout 50 seconds in when the second bass track starts playing the melody line, listen to that agressive sound. What really impresses me about it is that he gets it to sound so smooth and flowing, and while he's still playing with a hard touch, it doesn't sound overtly agressive in an emotional manner, but adds a brilliant dynamic to the tune.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021