1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aggressive bass for an old school guy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzercountry, Oct 19, 2006.

1. jazzercountry

jazzercountry Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    Oklahoma
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Howdy folks,

Just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were on my next bass. (I know, I know, I need to play it myself to be sure - but I really don't feel like running back & forth to UPS every week if I don't have to).

I'm a big, old-school, flatwound sort of guy. My stable right now is:

Lakland Bob Glaub w/ flats (soon to be replaced by a Valenti P5 w/flats)
    Hofner 63 reissue
    Lakland Jerry Scheff w/ TI Flats
    Lakland Darryl Jones w/ rounds
    Lakland 55-02 (fretted & fretless)
    Stingray 5 w/rounds
    Custom Bass VI w/ flats

I've got all of these in their own sort of niche, the only spot that is really left open is straight rock & roll (like 70's P w/ rounds) tone. I need something with 5 strings (because that's what *everyone* seems to ask for these days) that's just in your face.

My first instinct is a G&L L2500, I just have a hard time liking their finishes. I'm trying not to duplicate any finishes, either, which gets complicated. So far I've got Sherwood Green, Lake Placid Blue, Inca Silver, Black, White,Orange (Lava Pearl), Candy Apple Red, and Sunburst all covered. I'd love to have something in Shoreline Gold, or Ice Blue Metallic...maybe even Burgundy Mist. My wife really doesn't like any wood grain (she's barely ok with the Hofner...lol) so I prefer vintage colors.

Anyhow, the G&L was my knee jerk reaction, but I'm also curious about a Roscoe Beck V, or a Reverend Rumblefish. Not really interested in a Rick or T-Bird (I just can't seem to get along with a neck-through bass - not to mention that they're both 4's). Also considering waiting for the 5 string Dark Stars to hit and then putting them in a Joe Osborn 5.

Anyhow, there's a lot more collective experience (esp. with this sort of music - I mainly play country) on this board, so I figured I'd ask.

2. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    the rumblefish sounds like it's a great place to start with your needs...
    such a nice bass, agressive as you want it to be...
    always wanted one myself...

3. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Not given any of your choices, I would have suggested the G&L and the Roscoe. :D Have you looked at G&L's webpage under finishes? There should be something you will find attractive there.

4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I really like my G&L JB-2. I string it with Labella Flats and even then the pickups are pretty hot and more aggressive. The G&L L-2XXX basses are great too, you just have to find a finish ya like :)

5. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    You know, this may sound a little crazy, given your current stable...but have you considered a Ric? I mean, it appears, from your instruments, that you have a wide range of tonal variations covered. Maybe, like me, the Ric was the "last piece" of the puzzle???

Just the musings of an "old school" kind of guy!:D

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you want a P with roundwound tone, and a five, why not get either a Lull P-bass (passive) or Sadowsky P-bass (active)?

7. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    The following comment is a mockery of a psychotic person, and is intented as humorous - no offense intended:

Your wife doesn't like natural grain basses, so you don't have any, and "everyone" seems to ask for 5-string these days, so you are going for those...

What kind of wuss are you that let the world dictate what you buy and play? :bawl:

Anyway, just use the StingRay you have already (or the 55-02), or put rounds in the coming Valenti, and give the money you want to spend on that new bass to the red cross.

That is the right thing to do. ;)

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

+1 :cool: I didn't see the Valenti P5 you have coming. IMHO, you have more than enough basses, unless you simply are a collector.

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I'm a rock player who likes aggressive tone, and your arsenal looks pretty solid to me. The Fralin pickup in your Glaub has a nice gritty tone (love the Fralin in my MIA Fender), and you've got the Jazz and StingRay things nailed down. Maybe you could mod the DJ with more aggressive pickups like DiMarzio Model J's or Nordstrand NJ4SE's, or put the new Lakland proprietary pickups and pre in your fretted 55-02. The Lakland electronics are supposedly more aggressive than the Bartolini setup I assume you have. (If you have the Duncan p'ups, those are supposedly more aggressive still.)

But just on reading the title of your thread, my knee-jerk reaction was just like yours -- G&L L-2000/2500. For something even more aggressive, maybe consider an L-1505, but that might be too close to the StingRay.

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Ozarks
    Just by reading the thread title I thought of my G&L L1505. An L2500 would work fine too especially if you want something close to a P bass tone. Just go out and get one. We all can't be wrong about this, right? ;)

11. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

To me, "aggressive" and "old-school flatwound" are fairly distant from each other on the tonal spectrum.

I got a Reverend recently, and love it. It's got a classic old-school thump, and it's strung with flats. But it's not aggressive, like my old Lakland DJ was. Very comfortable to play, though, and extremely well made. It's a nice contrast to my Sadowsky.

I think a Reverend P/J would be a nice compliment to your stable. Somewhat aggressive, as P/Js tend to be, yet retaining much of that old-school character that seems to be your thing.

12. soniq

soniq

Apr 19, 2006
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    I was at GC last night playing with the Markbass amps. I grabbed the closest bass which happened to be a Warwick $$. First thing that came out of my mouth was "Oh sh#t!" :D .

13. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    aggressive tone = the stingray 5 you already own. slap some DR high beams on that motha.

14. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Cornell , IL.
    Maybe you just need a fuzz pedal.

15. 70's P-bass round sound in a 5 string? hmmmm....

Sadowsky P/J 5 perhaps?

too expensive? Ok

let's go a LOT cheaper...but it will thrill you...Yamaha BB415

...want more agressive, you say?...ok...BB615

you're welcome.

16. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    You already have a StingRay 5 and a fretted 55-02...how much more aggressive do you want? Any more aggressive, and it ain't counrty music anymore. Just stay away from the flats, problem solved.

But come on...no woodgrain because the wife says so, and letting other musicians who don't play bass telling you what kind of bass to play???!!!! That's obsurd, and the weirdest thing I've heard in a while.

17. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Yeah, I say screw the five-string thing and go with a Ric.

Or just get a Ric fiver.

18. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1.

On second thought, you should get a Ric. Now THAT's a classic aggressive rock tone. The only thing that's really missing from an impressive arsenal. The reason I can't bring myself to ever sell mine is that nothing else really covers aggressive rock the way the Ric does. You don't really need a 5er. Just rock a Ric.

19. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    You want a p tone then get a Fender p, but given what you already have I don't see what you need another axe for if you can't get the sound you want with all those basses I don't think you will ever get what you are looking for.

20. jazzercountry

jazzercountry Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    Oklahoma
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Well, I appreciate all the input - everything seems pretty much as I figured.

On the 4 string vs 5 thing - it really makes no difference to me, and I am a hired side man 100% of the time. I always ask the client if they have a certain sound they like/dislike before I show up, and 95% of the time they say they like a 5, ( and I have proven that even if I don't touch the fifth string all night, they'll still like it better than the same bass in a 4...whatever). Anyhow, I know I could be a baby about it, but tantrums do not a sideman make.

As far as what I have right now, I'm extremely happy with it. I have everything set to the point where if I want a certain sound, there is one of the basses all ready to go, with minimal tweaking. So, that's the main reason I'd like to have something "grab and go" for the rock stuff. I like the sound of several of my current basses playing rock, although they could do it better with a string change - and I'd rather just have something specific I can grab.

On the wood grain front, I've found that it's much easier to get an extra bass into the house when the wife thinks it's pretty (or more importantly, not ugly)...;)

So, at this point, it's still looking like a L-2500 to me. I'll figure something out on the finish.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021