Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aggressive, Growly, Edgy Jazz Pickups (Help Please)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Jun 29, 2005.

1. I'm looking to change out the stock pickups that came with my KSD704J. I'm looking for the absolute growliest, dirtiest, most aggressive, edgy, sizzling J pickups out there.

Can you please make a recommendation, and tell me why you recommend that one. Try to be as specific as possible, such as a certain model from the company you recommend. I'm not too sure if ceramic or alnico is more aggressive sounding, but whichever you recommend, please give a brief commentary as to why.

Thanks to all in advance.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Hi,
    did you check out the pickups faq? It has links to several J pickup review threads, as well as links to sound samples of numerous J pickups.
    I'd say start there, but some models you're probably going to be interested in are Dimarzio Model J and SD Quarter Pounder

3. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I'd suggest SD Quarter Pounders. I have P-J configuration, both quarters and it's grungy as heck. I normally play a Stingray 4, and when I played this bass for the first time, my band members said: "Man, that sounds grungy!" with a big smile on their faces

When I switch to the J alone with the tone set to highs, especially playing with a pick, it sounds like I'm playing out of a metal barrel that was just launched off a giant spring :bassist:

Well, that's the best way I can describe the sound... :rolleyes:

4. I've read through those treads, and I'm still not finding the info I'm looking for. ANYONE, PLEASE HELP

Again, i'm looking for SIZZLING n' NASTY. FOCUED, GROWLING N' AGRESSIVE, CUTTING.

does anyone have a link that actaully works to the Bass Player Magaine Jazz Pickup Shootout?

I found a couple links here on TB, but they dont work, and all I get is a "Server Error" message....... anyone?

5. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Not trying to be rude or obnoxious but those sounds describe the sound of a bass played with a heavy pick with the strings setup a little low to get a slight edge sound

Ceramic will give you a more focussed sound
    Alnico sounds a little warmer and slightly compressed

6. You may be correct, but I dont not play with a pick so that goes out the window. All diffrent TRUE single coil jazz pickups are voiced diffrenetly. Depending on the amount of winds on the bridge and neck, also the metal used (Alnico/Ceramic) make then all sound diffrently. If I could, I would purchase every TRUE single coil pickup out there, and do my observation, but I can't. So I'm hoping that my fellow TB-ers can help.

anyone with that shootout link?

7. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I don't think the shootout had the 1/4 pounder in it, which is a shame, because that is the pickup that does for me exactly what you want done for you.

8. Which QP? the SJB-3? (Is that a TRUE single coil, or a humbucking/humcanceling)

9. In my opinion DiMarzio UltraJazz... the best for rock...