Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aggressive Jazz P'ups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jul 7, 2005.

1. I'm planning on replacing my jazz pickups in my peavey millenium 4 BXP so I can add more bite, and aggresiveness to its tone. I'm wanting something growly, but clear. Are Nordstrands a good bet? or should I go for something else??? I was always a fan of bartolini, but Ive heard that they sound generic, and sometimes synthetic.

I also want an active preamp, preferably with a stacked vol/vol, blend, and a stacked treble/bass. any suggestions???

~Ryan

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I have a set of Nordstrand NJ4SE's in one of my basses and absolutely love them. Definitely in your face type J p/u. They are matched to a U Retro Deluxe working at 18v, and installed in an Alder body with maple / pau ferro neck.

I continue to be quite impressed with the sound and quality coming from the Nordstrand factory.

R

3. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I've heard good things about the Aero Type I. ;)

4. Di Marzio Ultra Jazz, they're quite growly.

For the preamp if you want a more aggressive tone, you might prefer to have a 3 band pre, bumping the mids on a Jazz can be quite aggressive. The bass/treble pre may sound woolier with a nice top end. I had a 3band Seymour Duncan pre on a conklin Gt4, thanks to the mids the sound were quite aggressive. but only the bass/treble was stacked.

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I asked a similar question in the pup forum not long ago. I got recomended Dimarzio Model J's. As well as SD's.

6. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Aero Type I's are far and away my favorite true single coil jazz pickups I've played. They are clear, growly... just amazing. I like Sadowsky's humcancelling J's a lot too, and have heard great things about Carey's single coils as well, but cannot comment from personal experience. They sound great in Todd's mexican Fender jazz on basstasters.com though. . .

7. I have Aero Type I pickups in my bass. They are ridiculously aggressive.

8. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    In a good way though, right? :cool:

What kind of bass?

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Do they hum alot when they run in solo?

10. I forgot to say I have Villex jazz in my Geddy. they're not especially what I call aggressive, but they're really punchy(much more hotter than the stocks )with an extended frequency range and no hum or buzzes.
    Boosting slightly the mids on the amp would give you the sound you looking for.