1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aggressive short scale roundwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by whyseye, Sep 28, 2008.

1. whyseye

whyseye

Mar 3, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm currently giving the most playing time to my short scale basses. I've got a vintage Mustang with a maple fretboard, strung with flats that I love - nice low action, big fat thumpy smooth flats, and I'm a happy camper. I'm currently using the flats that came with the bass when I got it, and if/when I want to replace them, I have a pretty good idea about what strings I'd like to play with next. I've got some Rotosounds on another shorty that I like, but are a tad stiff, and I've been looking for an excuse to try some LaBella Deep Talkin' flats (or any number of other interesting brands) as well...
    The other bass that I play a lot is a vintage Ventura EB-knockoff with rosewood board, that somebody beat the snot out of, and replaced the pup at the neck with a fat humbucker. It's got a high action, and is strung with some rounds that have a great nasty, deep, growly bark...but when the time comes to replace them (okay - really just a GAS rationalization), what do you suggest to replicate that sound?
    I tried using the search function, but tone is such a difficult thing to articulate - I really love the yin and yang of the clean, natural finish bass with the smooth flats and fat thump, contrasted with the battle scarred red and black bass with the growly strings and aggresive bark and bite...
    ...help me to achieve and maintain my balance, bass sensei....

2. whyseye

whyseye

Mar 3, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    ....thumpity bump...

I swear - I really did use the search function first....:atoz:

3. D'Addario makes a set of short scale rounds in both the Pro Steel (.40-.100) and XL (.45-.105) lines that might be what you need. Best of luck in your search.

4. whyseye

whyseye

Mar 3, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks! :)
    Is the only difference between these the gauge, or also the composition of the wrap, and the nature of the tone?
    I don't really want zingy and bright, but snarly and gritty - I've heard that the stainless are pretty bright sounding. Do I need to start with a brighter sound and EQ it down, or is there something that sounds like that right out of the package?

5. T'CharleS

T'CharleS

Jul 6, 2008
    France
    D'addario Pro Steels, no doubt. Delicious attack and grinding sounds... though you will most certainly have to roll off a bit the highs