Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AGH THE INTERNAL STRUGGLES!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Mar 18, 2004.

What sig would you like.

Poll closed Mar 25, 2004.
  1. Geddy Lee sig Jazz

16 vote(s)
    34.0%
  2. Marcus Miller sig Jazz 5

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  3. Roscoe Beck sig 5

24 vote(s)
    51.1%
  4. Some other Fender signature model

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. As none of you know, I am about to start putting aside a decent size of money for a new bass. But the problem is, I am not too sure what I want to get.

I had my eyes set for a Geddy Lee sig.

But pretty recently I have been thinking that a 5 string would be wise.

I am planning on getting a Fender, so that narrows it down a little. And I will be aiming at a signature model.

So, the choices I have boiled down in my head are the MM5 sig, the GL sig, and the RBsig(5).

As for tone I am looking for something that can nail a J tone, and can get a couple other tones out of it. And at the same time, could get a high-fi or vintage tone.

At this moment I am slightly leaning towards the RB sig.

But, a poll may point me on what direction I should be going in, due to the versitility I desire.

2. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Versatility and a fender sound? G&L possibly? If you really want a Fender I think many here would agree the RB5 is great. If it were my money I was spending, I'd buy the Geddy used and a J-retro to drop in it. Damn fine versital bass there. Yup. :cool:

3. I would say buy the fiver; I went from four to five and never looked back, but this isn't a four vs. five argument. I've heard numerous stories about the skinny neck profile of the Geddy being a problem, along with the fact that you have to remove the neck for adjustment. The RB5 has the tone of yesterday with the features people look for on really high end instruments. I know I sound like a Fender rep, but I don't even own one, it would just be my choice were I in your place.

4. I used an RB5 in the studio back in October because the electronics on my bass were going hay wire...even with dead strings that thing could SING!!! by far the best fender product I've ever used!!!

5. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Look at my screen name and guess which way I voted. :D

Hopefully I will own one soon myself.

6. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    As I have mentioned in other posts my MM V just arrived yesterday. I'd like the Roscoe as well but this Marcus bass sings. I wanted that sound.

7. i'd say try some laklands first, but of your choices i'd definitely go with the RB5

happy hunting :D

8. I guess I should add that I have never played a MM 5. I have played an MM 4 though.

I played BFunk's RB5(which is for sale), and Geddy's. The RB5 had a wide but very comfortable neck, and Geddy's have a great feeling neck, and sound great, but I have yet to get used to a maple board.

All I need is my $150 tax return. And many more dollars.

9. I'm not much of a five-string player...just never found them to feel right, so I'd go with a 4-string Marcus Miller Jazz sig since I really want a slapping bass. After that, I'd want a Victor Bailey Jazz sig. I've played both and loved them both. The Victor Bailey Jazz had a great, versatile sound, I thought. As for a fiver, I'd get the RB5 over any other 5-string Fender.

-Nick Park

10. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Check out the Victor Bailey sig Jazz bass. I know it's a 4 string, but I feel it's the best one they are currently making.
    The pre-amp is voiced differently than the new Fender FMT basses and that combined with the Koa/mahognay body is just killer.
    Just slap a BadAss on it and call it a day!! (EVERY Jazz should have a BadAss on actually!)

11. AA63

AA63

Dec 2, 2003
    Montreal, Canada
    I have been playing J's for 26 yrs. and I have to say that unless you go and do a lot of trying, you should keep your mind open. There is such a massive problem with quality control these days in Fenderland that I've played MIM's that play better than the MIA's and sigs.

That said, if you really want a great versitile bass for around 1K, and are not tied to a name you should consider having Nino build you one. It was a fluke that I happen to get one, and I have to tell you that it smokes any J that I've had short of my vintage one or the Sadowsky's...it's a killer.

12. funny you say that! i was just thinking about how its odd that we as bass players (im sure others do it as well) can end up liking something they know is ugly. such as the bongo, i love it, but ill be the first to tell you its ugly as poo! :D

13. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
  14. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It's a tough choice, since tone is an individualistic thing. I've tried all the basses you listed, and I even bought a Fender FMT 5 string which I ended sending back (I won't go into it, that's already in another thread). They all sound good and each has its strengths. The Geddy, FMT, and the Marcus Miller have that classic single-coil jazz bass tone. The RB that I tried had a nice fat tone, but I wasn't able to get that true single-coil Marcus-style tone.

I ended up buying a new Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn 5 string with a factory installed J-Retro preamp, all for less than a $1,250 street price. I can get a decent vintage style tone from the stock Lindy Fralin pickups, but I can also get an aggressive Marcus Miller style slap tone. The preamp gives you a lot of flexibility.

Ofcouse if you can swing the 3 Gs, you can pick up a Sadowsky which will please any jazz bass lover! Anyway, good luck on the quest!

15. Bump.

Listened to Rush last night, starting to lean back to the GL.

But also listened to Nuclear Rabbit, and I would like some Low B-age....

gg lack of money.

16. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I love certain Fender basses. I have been lucky enough to get some really hot Jazz basses, and I still have two of them (62 RI and NOS Custom Shop 64).

But! I've never liked a Fender 5 enough to buy one. I've had a ton of other fives and still have a few. As always, I highly recommend the relatively inexpensive Rumblefish 5ers.

However, I recently had a chance to play a friend's RB5. Those are really smokin' basses, and the only Fender fiver I'd ever consider owning. Certainly are a lot of different tones in that sucker.

Good luck!

17. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Don't forget that most of Geddy's sound is in Geddy! :)

18. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    What about a Ric?