Aghh! No more sound!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by all_your_bass, May 22, 2005.

1. all_your_bass

Jul 20, 2004
    My SUB sterling all of a sudden gives me no output (even after changing the battery for the preamp). I bought it about 5 weeks ago. I'm assuming that the preamp shorted out or fried itself or something and I guess I'll probably have to send it to EB. Now I'm not sure whether it's gonna cost so much to send it that it wouldn't just be easier to get an Aguilar preamp stuck in there or something.

So how much does it cost to send a bass (safely) and how long can I expect warranty service to take? Also, are there any possible causes to the problem that I could perhaps fix myself?
  2. check the input jack... make sure it is all connected and not fried. If it is, they are a quick fix
  3. all_your_bass

Jul 20, 2004
    Input jack is fine, I can get a really weak output if I cut everything with the preamp, but nothing if they're boosting or even flat, which leads me to believe that the preamp is to blame (since essentially bypassing it helps a tiny bit).
  4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Besides checking just checking that the wires are connected to input jack, make sure it not grounded against any shielding in the cavity, or that it hasn't twisted and shorted against itself. Also check all other wires and connections for obvious shorts or broken connections.
  5. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Most likely culprit - the battery compartment and the connections within the compartment. Before abandoning all hope and yanking the control plate and asking the gods to intervene, check that the battery is making good contact with both contacts - you might have to GENTLY bend the little prongs inside the battery compartment - and also check the leads coming off the battery compartment itself.

I have been around a long time and you need to check these very basic things FIRST.