Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Agilar db359 comments please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MarkW, Oct 31, 2000.

1. MarkW

MarkW

Oct 31, 2000
    Austin,Tx
    I would like to get some feedback from owners of the aguilar db359 .I have heard that aguilars are pretty loud in general when compared with solid state amps(some say the 400 watt aguilar amp is louder than the 900 watt solid state heads). What i want to know is do you think a 359 could provide enuff stage volume for a loud rock group?
    any other tips or comments concerning the 359 would be great as well.

2. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I don't own a 359, but I have tried one out. I do own a DB 728, and can base some comparisons on that. I've never had the DB 728 past 1/3, even for outdoor gigs unassisted by the PA in a reasonable loud rock blues band. In my opinion the DB 359 should be loud enough for most applications, unless you want to drive 8x10's to their limit. In a watts vs. db comparison, the 359 should be more than 1/2 as loud as the DB 728. Or as the db scale is geometric, doubling the wattage only increases db by about 10%. The big difference between these two amps will be the headroom available. What does the rest of your rig consist of?

3. MarkW

MarkW

Oct 31, 2000
    Austin,Tx
    currently i have a SWR SM900 driving 2 goliath III 4x10's.
    i just run it stereo with one cab per side at 8 ohms. according to the swr manual the amp pushes 240 watts a cab with this configuration and I run it about half way up and can hear myself fine. I am just curious if running a 359 at 4 ohms with both cabinets would be enuff to cut it on stage.
    rarely do we ever play where the bass is not run DI or miked so overall loudness is not an issue just being able to hear myself on stage. thanks.

4. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I used to have an SM-900 too. If you bridged the output, you'd be using more of that amp's available power. When I demo'd the DB 359, it was runing through an Eden 410XLT, and sounded and performed great with that cab. As for running two 4x10's with the 359, and you just want to hear yourself, it will do fine. Will it be noticably louder or softer than the SM-900? It will be close. One thing Ive learned after going through a few rigs is that if you have the sound you want, then you dont have to be as loud. Does this make sense? In my humble opinion and experience, the 359 will sound better (beefier, punchier, sweeter) than the SM-900. I've been thinking for a long while now whether I might be better off trading in the Db 728 for a DB 359, for the convenience, considering I don't seem to be using the 728 to its full potential, but I can't imagine anyone needing this much power, but it's nice to know I can shatter windows if I want to.