Agile ABG

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Jun 8, 2002.

1. I've been looking at acoustic basses recently, and yes, I've done a search and read 50+ threads on ABGs. Anyway, I'd like to keep it relatively cheap, and found an acoustic/ electric one for $239.00 at Since some of you guys have done business and had experience with Rondo, has anyonr heard or own one of these basses?

Taken from Rondo musics website.

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I havent but I have a couple of questions, and some input.

Do you intend to play acoustically or plugged in?

If you want to play acoustically, Id say you should pass. The body on this bass is too small to effectively amplify the low frequencies the strings are tranfering to the body.

As some one once said in another thread about ABGs "You get what you pay for."

I cant think of another situation where this applies more. The only exception to this rule that I have seen are the Olympia by Tacoma basses.

Im sure youve already read a billion recommendations for the Tacoma, and I completely agree. I have a 5 string tacoma and its great. It was also semi expensive ($780 is still a killer price though).

Well ayways the point is that a great 4 string acoustic can be had for a relatively cheap price if you go for the Olympia. Its like a Tacoma except made in Korea, with production methods that cost less, but produce an incedible bass.

3. Thanks for the input.

To answer a couple of your ?'s, yes, I planned to play it acoustically. I also planned to play it plugged in. I don't have a huge need for an ABG, but wanted one for camping trips, picnics, the beach, etc. At home, I'd play it either plugged or unplugged, depending on the time. I work nights, so unplugged wouldn't bother the neighbors (military housing = very thin walls).

I've heard all the reccomendations for Tacomas, but don't have $800 in my budget for an acoustic. Hell, I don't have $800 in my budget for an electric! :)

I'll look into the Olympia. I figured even as quiet as most ABGs are, I just plan to entertain myself and others around a campfire. $240 would be well worth it for that purpose.

How much do the Olympias run for an A/E?
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Around the campfire is actually gonna take a lot of volume to be heard - I've found that open space kills!

I think the Olympia A/Es I've seen were around $450 or so, but I could be wrong by a few bucks either way. Less than $500, in any case...
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Even a Tacoma isnt $800.

Mine was $780, but only because it was a 5 string.

Ive seen them for about $650.

I got a pretty good deal, especially when you consider that I got mine before the 5er was formally introduced, and had to be special ordered. Basically at that time they were only custom order instruments.

$780 for an incredible bass with case, shipping included and a short waiting time. Smells like a good deal to me!