Agile AGB (w/ soundclips & pics)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonedeaf, Jun 11, 2005.

1. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

UPS delivered my HEA-30B, the result of a trade deal, at 6:00 PM yesterday. My 4-year old woke me up in the middle of the night last night, so I took advantage of the wee hours to give it a test run and record some sound clips for y'all.

The fit and finish is excellent. Neck binding is great, fretwork is nice with no sharp ends, the clear finish is flawless. It's a very nice looking instrument all around, with some nice touches for the price range, like little binding strips around the soundhole and down the center of the back.

For such a small-bodied ABG (about the same height and width as my Jazz Bass, but obviously deeper - not quite as deep as a standard size acoustic g*****r, though), it was louder unplugged than I expected, but I still wouldn't try it acoustic unless it was a VERY small room with a mellow guitarist. The low end from such a small body won't blow anyone away either, so the acoustic sound is definitely for the midrange and string-detail lovers out there. Still, it's going to be great to have around so I can just pick it up for no-hassle woodshedding anytime I want.

I never intended to use it acoustically in a live setting anyway, I was just looking for another tonal tool for the amplified toolbox, and something for those times when the acoustic look would fit the vibe better.

I really like the 32.5" scale, short enough to be fun but not too short, like I feel about 30" basses most of the time.

Plugged in, it does have sort of a "hollow" sound, definitely different to my ears than an electric bass, but it doesn't have to be zingy. The onboard preamp (bass, mid, treble, and presence) is pretty flexible.

Here are some soundclips to give you an idea. Don't expect to be blown away by the quality of playing, as I banged these out in about 30 minutes in the middle of the night. I played more or less the same line on all the clips, and I was after quantity, not quality. All of these were recorded direct into my PC, and I recorded a couple other instruments for the sake of comparison.

The Agile EQ settings go from -12db to +12db

Agile - Unplugged (mic about a foot away, directly in front of the soundhole)

Agile - Plugged in, all EQ controls at center position

Agile - Plugged in, Presence and Mid at -12, Bass & Treble at center

Agile - Plugged in, Bass Treble & Presence at center, Mid at +6

Agile - Plugged in, Mid Treble & Presence at -12, Bass at +12

MIJ active Jazz Bass, all EQ at center, both pickups

Passive MTD Kingston Fretless, Tone on full

Here's a pic of the above basses for size comparison, with bad lighting and a crappy camera.

If you have any specific questions, I'll try my best to answer them.
  2. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Nice review!!! I want an ABG and was considering the SX and the Dean Performer 4. Do you know if the SX is bigger (in body size) than the Agile?
  3. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

Specs for the SX ABG:
    Width of the neck at the nut: 1 11/16"; at the 20st fret: 2 7/16"
    Overall length 44 1/4" Scale length is 29 3/4"
    Width at the widest point: 15 3/4 ", body thickness at the edge: 3 3/4"
    Actual Weight is only 5.5 lbs

Specs for the Agile ABG:
    Width of the neck at the nut: 1 11/16"; at the 22st fret: 2 1/2"
    Overall length 45.5"; Scale length: 32.5"
    Width at the widest point: 14 3/4", body thickness at the edge: 3 1/4"
    Actual Weight is only 6.5 lbs