1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aging Pop Artist Part 2, The Saga Continues

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bluewine, Mar 31, 2009.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    My audition saga continues.I received this e-mail today;

Keep in mind,my only pre-requiste for any band that is actually interested in me, they must have gigs and work 3-4 times a month, maybe more in the Summer due to all the festivals. Is that a fair requirement?

Blue,

Here's the four songs were asking bass players to learn for auditions:

Cheap Trick- I Want You To Want Me

8675309 - Tommy Tutone,

Fountains of Wayne-Stacy's Mom

Are you available Saturday April 5th from 6- 7:00?

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Yes, lay out what you are looking for and how much you expect a band to be playing. Nobody wants a basement project unless its a good group reforming.I dont have time like you to try out for a band only to hear they gig once or twice every 3-5 months. BTW you will ace this easy stuff fo' sure! Good luck!

3. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    I never heard of that last one: "Are you available Saturday April 5th from 6- 7:00?" is that a Red Hot Chili Peppers song?

4. are you sure you want to play with guys who cant count to 4

5. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    i think the age thing is just silly

I would much rather have guy behind me that is 60 and can keep in the pocket than some 19 year old punk that thinks he is the next Les Claypool

I mean seriously I just saw Black Sabbath in concert and all of those guys are 60 and over in fact Dio is pushing 70.....

Are you going to be the one to tell them to get off the stage they are too old?

Rolling Stones anyone? I mean I realize Keith has been dead for years but seriously to old...lol

The Who?

Lemmy!

Good Luck Blue....the right band is out there somewhere

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I read your pt.1 thread too.

Age has multiple parts when dealing with young rockers:

1. "The look"...if you're gray, shave it or dye it. Dress like a biker. Maybe lose some weight :(

2. "The hang"...don't act like someone's father (or worse, their grandfather) :help:

3. "Don't ask, don't tell"...it's OK to inhale, though ;)

Famous old guys who "passed" with the younguns:

Ed Cassidy of Spirit
    Stiv Bators of Dead Boys and Lords of the New Church
    Mark Sandman (RIP) of Morphine
    Robert Quine (RIP) of Voidoids, Lou Reed's band, etc.
    Terry Woods with the Pogues

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Stones kicked Ian Stewart off the stage...all those guys hit it big when young, same as Sinatra, Duke Ellington, Jerry Lee Lewis and all the other icons who had lifelong careers.

Noone's looking at 70 year olds to find the new Dio.

8. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    The problem with using these icons like Keith Richards and Lemmy as examples is the fact that they've been doing this since they were young. Even regional guys that have been around forever have some credibility. It's us geezers that might not have a life-long reputation behind us that are having conflicts. :help:

9. rooted

rooted

Feb 3, 2005
    Corona, CA
    Maybe hang out at the places where the type of band you are interested in being part of perform. Network with the band members. Sport a cool look that suits you. Bring a younger friend with you and don't be self conscious of your age. Act as young as you feel.

10. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Excellent point, I think I will have a lot more confindence at the next audition. Blow away their song list. Act like I'm too cool and younger then they are without coming off weird.

blue

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I suggest you "act" like who you are, I mean, just be yourself.

If they think you have an "image" problem, then that's their problem. Maybe it's time to find some more mature players. In the long run, you'll be happier.

12. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Here is another weird way to bridge the age gap. I was thinking of showing up for the audition with a much younger woman, like 26.

Then I can say, see guys, I'm like you, I'm in the club. I'm hanging with women in your age group. Please give me a chance.

13. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005

I think I'm probably close enough to your age to relate to your situation. I did that for a while, playing with musicians a lot younger. But that's really taking a chance. I never had any problems, but I very well could have. You are really setting yourself up for some potentially embarrassing situations. I frankly don't think hanging out with a younger woman is going to help, either. More often than not, it's the younger guys who have a problem with age than younger women. Being with a younger woman isn't going to change how younger guys view you, IMO.

14. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    all of them pretty easy songs. What's the issue?

15. Why does Peter Noone want to find a new Dio? Isn't he making a good enough living doing his Herman's Hermits gig?

-- Dan --

16. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    FWIW, Saturday is the 4th. Are they playing Saturday, or are they playing the 5th?

+1 on not being able to count to four. It's kinda important in music. ;) :D

17. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH

I always figured that if, by some miracle, a cute young thang came up to me, I'd just ask if her mom was hot. :hyper:

18. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant

is everyone missing the fact that they only listed three songs but said four and the date is wrong.. ?

19. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    lol. good point!!!

20. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    See post #16