Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

agree or not

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Floating teetH, Aug 17, 2005.

1. the greatest of musical compositions have a way of seeming as if they were always there, waiting to be written.

there is a quote from michelangelo, in reference to 'David,' something like, "David was always there in the (medium of whatever sort) waiting to be freed."

I probably got the quote way wrong and should drink more. :)

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    not

3. this idea may not appeal to the songwriter, as it implies that said individual should not take credit for his own work.

But writing a universally appreciatable piece of music could be an act of getting the self out of the way.

australians live in anusual hemisphere.

4. and yet i live in the south

where is bear owsley?

5. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I think the idea was more that David was already there inside the marble and Michelangleo merely had to chip away the pieces in the way. It's a very 'classic Greek' idea of ideals existing without (necessarily) physical form (like a lot of the Greek mathematical ideals), but yes, I believe the music exists already and we do not create it; we uncover it much like an archeologist might uncover a fossil already there to begin with.

This idea can get deeply philosophical, but to summarize and get to the original question: I agree. The music is already there, we just have to find it.

6. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Actually there has been a cover-up of immense proportions since the dawn of the time. The southern hemisphere is infact 'the right way up' but the 'northerners ' could never admit that they were the ones that were upside down. o they painted all the maps accordingly and they changed the signs on a compass. just like they initially said that electrical current was the flow of positive particles.

True story... :bag: ;)

7. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium

Fixed it for you :D

8. opinions may vary. (On the drinking)

some may even think i should sleep, it being 4:38 AM on a wednsday.........fools.....

9. The greatest song has already been written. "Slow Ride" by Foghat. :p

10. There's more than a little truth to that. Certainly applies to some of the more wankish, busy musicians out there. They are certainly not done chipping away at the excess notes that remain in their solos. They need to keep chipping off stuff until there's a bit of space available.

Randy

11. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Man...that is too funny, you have to think about it being said in the manner of either peter of brian from family guy.

ah...good stuff