Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Agressive fingerstyle players?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by darkjoker667, Sep 15, 2004.

1. darkjoker667

darkjoker667

Apr 21, 2003
    I play in a hardcore punk/metal band and although I can play a little with a pick, I much prefer playing fingerstyle. Problem is, there really are no aggressive fingerstyle bassists (that I can hear) that play the music I'm into, save Geezer Butler. I was wondering if any of you guys know any hardcore punk/metal bassists that have a very aggressive playing style and/or tone. I need inspiration.

2. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Digorgio from Death..now in skid row (but listen to old Death). He is a great 3 finger player. Billy Sheehan has technique that can be applied to metal. He is probably the best example of how insane you can get with the 3 finger technique. The bass player from Suffocation uses his fingers too...he's pretty good also.

3. FunkMachine

FunkMachine

Jul 13, 2004
    Dubai
    The guy from cannibal corpse, name slips my mind.

Steve Harris

Rob Trujillo in some cases.

4. The OX [RIP] was probably a good example of fast fingers and the tunes he played on were IMO pretty aggressive.

Matthew

5. If you ever have the chance to see Nonpoint live, their bassist, KB, is a freaking monster. He beats the hell out of his bass, but he's still really fast and technical. He definitely inspired me. His playing doesn't really come across on recordings, but live is a totally different story.

And Ryan Martinie from Mudvayne is perhaps the most 'technically agressive' hardcore player out there now. All fingerstyle with some metal slapping thrown in.

6. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Alex Webster. Awesome three finger player!

7. Steve DiGiorgio now plays with Skid Row? :eek: What's next, the Cranberries?!? Holy poop...

8. not the kind of music you're talking about, but i always thought geddy lee has an aggressive fingerstyle technique.

ryan martinie from mudvayne plays fingerstyle also.

9. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I'm not a huge Metallica fan but listen to Clff Burton who played bass on their first album up to 1986 (Master of Puppets, I think). Every recording I heard him play on was with fingers and he had a very agressive playing style.

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Timmy C.
    Jaco
    Rocco Prestia
    Ronda Smith

11. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    Geddys finger style?.......

Ryan plays with his fingers, but he also has his own "finger slapping" tech.

12. in my opinion, he (geddy lee) has a pretty aggressive right hand tech. if this is not what was asked, my bad.

you are right, ryan does not only play fingerstyle. also flamenco style strumming and slap.

furio

13. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    jari kainulainen.... now im not sure about what you mean about agressive if you think of speed, or beating the hell out of the strings, but steve harris falls in both of them, jari is just scaringly fast...

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Totally different style, but Flea digs in hard.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I was gonna mention Flea...RHCP do have a little Punk/Metal thing goin' on in some of their tunes.

For quasi-Metal/Metal-Funk, there's Living Colour's first bassist, Muzz Skillings.
    I would say the guy in The Suicide Machines has an agressive fingerstyle.

Not the genre you're talking about, but Paul Jackson of The Headhunters has a very agressive fingerstyle attack. Listen to guy like Jackson & adapt it to your thing.

16. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Mudvayne were on Uranium, and the almost the whole show was live concert fotage. He has his strings so low, it doesn't even look like he plays very hard, but still gets a very aggressive sound. Those top shelf Warwicks are really punchy and he uses them to full effect. I think the show had a feed from the board for the live footage, because it sounded really good. Sometimes it sounds like he is slappins rellly fast, but he is just strumming the strings really fast and towards the fret board. He is awesome.

17. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Damn now that I think about it most hardcore bands I like have nothing but pick bassists. If I'm not mistaken Rob Gallo from Agnostic Front is all fingers.

18. John Entwistle from one of the early punk bands...
    the Who!

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Steve Harris! Strings clanging off of the frets is a big part of his sound.

20. Good call there, Jim. That guys rips it up!
    I'd also check out Karl Alvarez from ALL and Descendents. He plays with his fingers, has a very aggressive style and his parts are really complex and interesting.