Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Agressive, sharp mids 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sethlow3, Mar 27, 2004.

1. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Hey just looking for a 5 string that has aggressive mids intead of the subdued warmth I hear in my Bart electronics.

I've got my eye on Lull, Alembic, and Yamaha.

2. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    My GB has the most agressive mids of any bass I've ever owned:
    [​IMG]

www.gbguitars.co.uk

3. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Everything on the site looked funny to me, but yours, WOW!

---S

4. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Thanks - Bernie did a wonderful job building this for me, and it's got such a unique growl to it that you need to hear to appreciate. :D

As you can probably tell, I'm a midrange freak - another bass that can get some really powerful/agressive midrange is a Lakland with the Seymour Duncan Basslines pickups rather than the Barts. I liked it so much I had my new Curbow built with those electronics. Killer midrange, especially with the midrange dip-switches that give you 4 frequencies to choose from to set the mid control at!
    [​IMG]

Finally, although I don't own one, I know that Wal Basses have some really powerful mids as well.

Hope this helps a bit.

5. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Ibanez SRX 505, impressive mids

6. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    How about a Stingray 5?

7. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    What model is the Bart pre in your bass? All of the 3-band Barts with the Mid switch have incredible control of the Mid's. Obviously the bass it's installed in has a great deal of influence on how well the Mid's speak. IMO I wouldn't look for pronounced Mid's in an Alembic. The 2 Alembics I've owned (and all I've heard) are all about highs and Lows.
    I will say that the Roscoe basses with the Spanish Cedar core and 3-band Bart are really capable of some aggressive Mid sounds.

8. Dingwall Afterburners.....
    The FD-1 and/or FD-3 pickups are aggressive, growly and oh so full of mids, infact the BluEQube circuit will warm up your mids if their too much for you. Plus you can 't beat a 37' long B string.
    frank

9. A bass with "aggressive mids?" Well, this is very similar to what I was searching for when I went looking for a 5 string. Ended up choosing a Warwick FNA Jazzman (which also has the J/MM configuration, but they're made by MEC). Anyway, I've always thought Warwicks were all about aggressive midrange.

I'd like to hear a Dingwall Afterburner, some time.

10. My Benavente Vortex has super agressive mids.

11. Modulus, with some tweaking.

12. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I have to agree with Biker4Him...the Benavente Vintage Vortexs have a snarly, aggressive, low-mid punch to them. Depending on what preamp you choose (Bartolini might give you midrange punch without the darkness of their pickups), a Lull w/an alder body will give you good growly mids as well, but they have a different mid "charater" to them than the Bennies. As for Alembic, you're talking about a very different sconic monster than the other brands you're looking for. They're excellent basses, but I'm not sure if they fit with the overall tone you're looking for. Yamaha might be a better option, though. The good news is that there are a LOT of very good basses out there that posses the qualities that you're looking for...the non-Bart sound, that is. ;)

13. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Thanks, I saw some of the standard Gb's and they look great. So what are the controls of your first bass you showed me?

You see, I am growing weary of how subdued barts are in my Zon and other basses I have tired. I have had a bit a though time with the bass. I don't know whats missing but something is missing from it. I love smooth, warm tones like the Zon gives me but the rock tone seems to lack. Maybe its the graphite neck. I don't know. It just seems like something is missing.

I am more of a R&B and Rock kind of guy and I am not sure whether or not i should replace the Zon or just get something to complement (contrast?) it.

14. Not trying to beat the same horse again. But you really ought to try the Bennie. It may look like a jazz, (and it is....) but it will rock!!! Great fingerstyle, thumpin, lows, and believe me, it's got all the mid growls you will ever want.. and it sounds NOTHING like my bart pup'd Roscoe's.

And that CAR vintage vortex at blueberry sure looks amazing!!

15. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Well, Bernie makes his own pickups and circuit board, so it's a nice change from the standard off-the-shelf electronics.
    It's a simple Volume/Pickup-Pan/Treble/Mid/Bass knob setup and the switch is the "GB Switch" which I believe is just a series/parallel switch. The other nice thing is that depending on what sound you want, more mids, less treble, etc., Bernie can alter the preamp to give you exactly the sound you want.

16. I tend to think of the tone of a bass as fitting somewhere within a triangle of basic sounds. First, you've got the Fender sound, with it's mellow, rubbery, R&B type vibe. Then, you've got the "boutique bass sound." which is really the sound of bartolini pups. Very balanced response across the entire frequency spectrum. Then, you've got the third point of the triangle, which are the ones with the intentionally enhanced, aggressive, mid-range. While I personally ended up with a Warwick while in search of this kind of sound, other easily available basses that fit into this category, IMO, would be a MusicMan and the Gibson Thunderbird. I'm sure that some of the more expensive, custom shop instruments that have been named here would get you this sound as well, I'm not familiar with those basses, and can't comment on them. However, there are quite a few basses these days that are using a MM-style pup (or two), and I'd say that any of those could give you that kind of tone.

17. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Very interesting triagnle theory. Of course there is the whole woody/piezo/uprght sound you left out. But your triangle theory is exactly what I am looking to do. A vintage bass (fender), warm barts (Zon), and aggressive midrange.

Does anyone feel that a Sadowsky modern 24 with EMGs falls in any of these categories?
    Keep em' coming folks!

18. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Benevente's are so expensive though! I think some things in its price are better quality. The only benevente I played buzzed all over the neck, but had a very aggresive midrange that I dug (aeros I think). I know what you mean!

I am just a little afraid that one would buzz all over like the one I tried out at the low end shop and the one my friend currently owns.

19. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    If your friend is having a problem like that then sounds more like a setup issue as well as maybe the way the bass was setup and not for your playing style. Either way they are setup issues and not a quality factor of the bass. Quality factor would neck pocket, routing pickup pockets, sanding detail and finishing detail as well as structural strength of the instrument.

At any time you or your friend feels the instrument needs a fret dress or setup you/he are welcome to ship the bass to Chris for a checkup at no charge other then shipping cost.

I’m just concerned with the statement quality, as anyone would be. I just want to address the statement and make sure I understand it’s a setup not quality.

Also the Vortex and Vintage Vortex with the standard options available on them is one of the best buys just in terms of what you get for your money. Its tuff to find a 3 pc neck, choice of body wood, pickups and Benavente 3 band preamp with choice of finish and finger board starting out in the high teens!

Please, I'm not upset at your statement, just wanting to address is because it concerned me!

Thanks
    Brian

20. I agree with Scott... if you want Mid...then the GB's are unbeatable.. Update Scott got my GB bk with new Elecy's in, im now 80% up to new Gb Elecy's...and Whoa......powerful... very very powerful....at first i really didnt like it....could get a decent sound out of it...just really raw and raspy...now ive learnt how they work...its a loads better than my old setups...that mid sit happily in the center position all the time...and its still to0o much..amazin simpley amazin...blows every other bass out of the water...Sad's, Zon name it...it get blow to piece...but what i really did.. is the warmth you can get out of it...it just in bucket loads..

so Yeah

For Mids See GB