Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguialr GS-112 Tweeter Ringing (Not Good)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sincity, Oct 6, 2003.

1. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have an Aguilar GS-112 that I love, but recently the tweeter rings out like there is a loose spring inside or something like that.

It happens a louder volumes and will ring as long as the note is being played. Right now, I turn the tweeter off, but I do not want to do this.

Any suggestions as to what might be happening here?

Here are the heads I play through. I do not turn these heads up past a certain level, because the cabinet only handles 300 watts @ 8 Ohms.

Mesa Boogie D-180
    Ampeg B4R
    Sunn 1200s

Thanks for your help.

2. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Check the speaker cable running to the cabinet. I had a bad speaker cable once and the tweeter would "buzz" on loud notes. I changed the cable and the problem went away. Other things to look for would be a loose screw on the tweeter housing or a loose connection behind it. It is easy to remove the tweeter and check those things.

3. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks KB I'll give your suggestions a shot. I think my cable is fine, so I will look at the tweeter housing.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If its still under warranty, you can always remove it from the cab and send it back to Aguilar for replacement. They're very good about those things, just be sure to call them first for a return auth number.

When I received one of my Aggie GS-410's, one of the drivers had a bad voice coil right out of the box, probably damaged during shipping. I called Aguilar, sent them the driver, and they expressed a brand new replacement to me in a matter of a few days total. Great customer service, they really stand behind their products.