1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar 112DB or 112GS: Help me choose

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RJHall, Mar 30, 2013.

1. RJHall

RJHall

Dec 25, 2012
    New York City
    I can't find a store around me that stocks both, so I'm turning to you guys to help narrow down which model to set my sites on. I am getting a TH500 head.

What's the real difference between the two in terms of sound? Does the DB series really have punchier mids? The GS series has more defined lows.

FWIW - I am seeking the NT version of either. I play a Rick with flats and 5-string precision, also with flats.

In terms of look/materials...

DB: I like the look and tolex options. Thinking Green monster (am I the only one who digs that color).
    GS: I don't hate carpet, but a have 2 cats and don't want to invest in a $500 scratching post LOL.

Lastly, does either model sound better as a single cab? I can't afford 2 for a while, and realistically won't need 2 while I'm living and gigging in NYC.

Thanks!

2. SlickB

SlickB

Aug 7, 2011
    Maryland
    I've used both the GS112 and the DB112. I prefer the DB series. The GS series sounded great solo at home, but I felt something was missing when used with a full band. The DB112's solved that issue. Yes, the midrange is more prominent in the DB's. There are countless threads out there regarding the GS-DB comparison, search is your friend. I can't comment on the single cab since I've always used a pair, the pair has always been more than enough with a loud drummer/ 2 electric guitars, rock environment etc.... Good Luck!

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The DB's are my favorite, and they are very mid-forward, and easy to cut through sounding cabs. Never cared for any GS that I've tried.

4. RJHall

RJHall

Dec 25, 2012
    New York City
    This has been helpful regarding the sound... me love mids!

Also, I just had to take another look a my couch to remember carpet won't fly with my cat-infested lifestyle.

I decided to go with the TH350... any foreseeable issues there?

Thanks!

5. funk7856

funk7856 Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Atlanta
    I have the exact same problem with dog hair. No more carpet for me.

TH350 + DB112 worked great for me. I'd consider getting/building a wedge to angle the DB112. My only complaint when using a single DB112 is the height of the speaker. Of course you can also solve that by getting a DB112NT to stack your DB112 on top of.

http://www.ampwedge.com/

6. blmeier7

blmeier7 Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    I've owned both cabs and even gigged them together before. I second what Slick B posted. The DB does have noticeably more mids but the GS is a slightly better cab for solo playing due to the scooped mids.

The DB was my favorite of the two.

7. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    I can't comment on the DB series, but I have been gigging with the GS112 cabs for a long time.

Just a few comments about the GS. I will state that these comments are IMO and IME. Everyones experience will be different.

I have used both the single cab and two cab configuration. Both sound great to me. Very full and loud.

The single cab can carry the bass with sizable group of relatively loud musicians (depending on the venue and acoustics). I have never had to push the GS to get a great tone.

The weight of the cabs are manageable. I do notice a significant difference with the NT cab(with the NT being lighter). They are very well built.

I have never had one issue with the GS cabs.

With that being said, you can tell that the GS cabs are a little shy in the mids. It's not something that really bothers me. I have a good EQ on my amps and I am not afraid to use it.

The tweeters are not harsh.

The GS cabs do not sound muddy or muffled, and if they had a little more mid presence, they would, IMO, be close to perfect.

In my opinion, cabs configurations have changed a significant amount since I purchased my (3) GS112s. We have many cabs now that are much lighter, and the tone and presence has been tweaked a great deal.We have many, many options available. But, the GS cabs, offer a great, solid cabinet that has proven itself for many years. I feel like I got a good value in purchasing my GS cabs.

Even though I am currently following the new Bergantino CN line of cabinet with much interest (350 watts, 28 pounds and a full, even sound), I just can't see myself selling my Aguilar cabinets.

I play both a Fender American Standard Jazz and P. I use Thunderfunk heads, and for about the last six months have been using an fDeck HPF-Pre Series 3.

I hope this info helps.

8. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    +1 on comments praising the DB cabs, which have been my main rig for over 3 years.

I've used both Aggy cabs, and the DB wins in the mix, for sure. Even with its mid-emphasis it still retains a full low end and a certain "vintage" vibe that should go well with the TH head based on what I've read here on TB about the TH's toneprint. I also really like the high end of the DB (with just a taste of tweeter), and love going way up the G-string when I can get away with it. I can assure you that DB's are a fantastic combo with a GK MB Fusion, which also has a somewhat "tubey" character (3 preamp tubes).

For those who find the DB's shape weird and squat, I should mention: for $8 worth of rubber feet, I made my DB cabs vertical. By carefully removing one screw on the nameplate, I was able to gently revolve the Aguilar badge 90 degrees and then replace the screw. Voila, I now have a skinny 2-1X12 stack (on top of a gramma pad and a Carvin dolly) that puts the top speaker and the GK head right up by my ears & eyes, and the badge sits nicely in the lower left-hand corners. The vertical orientation works equally well for a single cab gig, and it puts the head (and the speaker itself) up a little closer to me. For me this mod solves the "form factor" issue that some have raised with the DB-112. Buy a padded cover and you're done.

Highly recommended!

9. SlickB

SlickB

Aug 7, 2011
    Maryland
    TomB, That's a great idea! Where did you get the rubber feet? ------ Srirachaglo, This comparison video may help you a bit regarding the DB112.

10. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I have two DB's and love them. But if you are looking for less mids and more bottom and top the GS may be up your alley. I have a friend who had two GS, wait four gs and loved them for years but like most looking for a change and decided to sell all four for 2 db's. He didn't like them. He preferred the GS. Now Im not saying this will be the case for you. He did have an experience in a club when he used 2 GS and a thunderfunk 550B and a reparable bassist came up to him and said it was the best sound he ever heard. I have not experienced playing live with the GS but with the DB's and yes they have more mids but I like their bottom end too when pushed but the GS will give a bigger bottom. But you can search here because there have been debates of which is better. If you like more mids than I would say the DB. What I have heard again is the GS will give you a sweeter bottom.

11. RJHall

RJHall

Dec 25, 2012
    New York City

12. SlickB

SlickB

Aug 7, 2011
    Maryland
    Glad the link helped! I'll add that I always gig with a big PA, plenty of sub bass flying around the room from the FOH system. I wouldn't notice the low end differences between cabs on stage.

13. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    My main cab is a DB212 right now. I also owned a GS112 for a very brief time.

I thought the GS sounded good when I played it around the house. Took it to a rehearsal and did not like it (w/ GK MB200). But, I decided to give it another chance, so played it at a gig (with a differnt amp - GB STL600), and still did not dig it.

Very nice bottom on the GS cabs, but a very scooped sound. IMO and IME, the DB sounds great in a live band setting. More present mids cut thru. Pretty much a +1 to what a lot of people are saying here.

The two cabs are the same speaker... the DB Box is slightly larger (about 1" deeper), and made from a different type of wood. DB wins hands down in the looks department. I have classic black to match a fender head, but all 4 colors look great.

14. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Haven't played the DB. Love some AG products but that GS, no. Thought I would hurt my hands trying to get some mids out of it. It's just missing mids.

15. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    Ive had a GS410 and now have a DB212, if you want more of a VIntage/Old skool SVT type sound go with the DB, based on what Basses you use and your strings i think DB is what your looking for. If you want a more modern Mid-scooped sound like Mesa/Boogie then the GS is more suited for you, if you play 5 string and slap the GS shines.

16. RJHall

RJHall

Dec 25, 2012
    New York City
    Just ordered 1 DB112 in monster green... saving up for a 2nd!
    Thanks, all!

17. SlickB

SlickB

Aug 7, 2011
    Maryland
    Let us know how the Cab works out for you. Thanks for the rubber foot links, or is it rubber feet links....