Aguilar-12 vrs Avatar-12, with Walkabout?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greywoulf, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Okay, I'm gonna do it... Gonna sell/trade my Hartke KB12 and SWR Wkmns10 and invest in a Mesa 300w Walkabout! I really dig those honey-thick warm tube tones, and this little amp put's em out there!

Now about the cabs... I only want a single 8ohm 1x12 right now and am considering both the Avatar and the Aguilar. What are you guys' opinions on comparisons between these two, other than the obvious price difference?
    So far I'm leaning toward the Aguilar because of it's slightly less bulk and weight and slightly better features. I can get the Aguilar for $400 (incl shipping), and the Avatar for $248 (incl shipping). So $150 is not a hell of a lot of difference if the Aguilar is really worth it...

(Unfortunately, unlike with the Mesa Walkabout head, which I've tried, I can only rely mostly on reviews and opinions for my decision on these cabs because I have no easy way to test-compare the two myself. Neither are local off-the floor items). NBD tho; I'm just looking for some more ideas and opinions before considering things further...

2. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Smash is correct! If it is the GS112 you're after, keep searching. There is not a week that goes by that you won't find one or two used for $300 plus shipping. I did exactly that. Mine had covers included. They themselves are $80 each. Try talkbass, harmony central, bassgear, etc
  3. marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    I personally wouldn't touch a used cab unless I check it out first - and remember the Aguilar warranty is not transferable. I found the best new Aguilar cab prices at was the next best price. Both are much more desirable to deal with than big-box retailers.
  4. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I vote aguilar gs112. I've heard one avatar 115, I think, and I think the aguilar is much more pleasant to listen to, more lively punch too!
  5. If you're only doing one cab, I'd do the Aguilar. Then at a later date you can add a second cab... maybe even an Avatar to add a little midrange punch.

FWIW, you'll love the WalkAbout and the Agi is a pretty darned good match. Let us know what you finally purchace... and good luck!
  6. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I've just purchased 2 Avatar SB-112's and power them with a Mesa M-Pulse 600. Great sound! One sounds very good also. I would expect that the Mesa Walkabout would sound very similar at medium volumes. I can't really comment on how the Aguilar 112 stacks up against the Avatar. If you can get them close to the same price (used Aguilar vs new Avatar) the Aguilar might have the better resale price. I purchased the first to SB-112's at $218 ea. shipped. Hard to beat that! Hart to beat at $248 ea. shipped also. I'd be surprised if the Aguilar sounds any better than the Avatar. Compaired to my Goliath III and Jr. III it's really a toss up to which I prefer. The Avatar's are very impressive. Great components and workmanship.
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

great complementary tones.
  8. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY

I bought my two Aguilar GS112's at
    I paid $330 for each + $75 ea. for shipping to Puerto Rico, so I imagine you can get them for a lot less than the $400 you were talking about.

They sound really good. You'l like one, but if you hear two of them together, you'll be blown away.

Hope this helped.
  9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    What tone are you going after? That's going to be a deciding factor. For myself, I paired up an Epifani T-112 and T-110UL with my Walkabout, and the result is oh, so good. I know that you are skeptical of used cabs, but I picked up a (second) T-112 used in mint shape for $325, and it has worked out great.

I haven't heard Avatar gear, so I can't really comment, but another brand that I would consider that will fall within the price range of the Avatar and Aquilar cabs is Low Down Sound. Don has a bass-only store and cab-making shop in the Detroit, MI area, and they make some very excellent cabs. Plus, you can custom order a cab to fit your tone and needs.