1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar 212 or Mesa 212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stingray_EB, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Hey guys I tried a search but found nothing that could really answer my question. Ive just aquired a Big Block 750 and wow is it nice. My question is that I know IM going for a 2ohm load and ideally Im going to start of my rig with a 4ohm 212, but im stuck between Aguilar or Mesa ? Any experience ? My sound is deep and beefy but i do like a bit of slap occasionally.
    Cheers

2. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    well, I only played the Mesa 2x12 ans I can tell you its an awesome cab alltogether!
    its got that deep, low end you need, but can still punch thrpugh about as good as a 4x10!
    you cant go wrong with that cab!
    although from what Ive seen and heard with aguilar (although without playing them personaly), I would believe they make an awesome 2x12!

3. bump

4. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
  5. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    ... it's just scarce to find a 4 ohm Mesa 212...

6. Tell me about it, I can only find 8ohm models, I dunno what Im gonna do :meh:

7. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Damn.. I feel some GAS coming on. I love my GS212's, but some low-end focus and clarity would have been really nice at the last gig.

..and to have matched head and cabs (both Mesa).. ~gurgle~

8. Has anyone noticed that the powerhouse cabs now have a black grille as standard instead of the silver, the silver is now the optional grille. I actually prefered the silver oned better but my bb750 would look badass ontop of the black ones imho they are nicer than the vintage cabs.

9. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Yeah, I like the metal grilles.

Damn, I just got these GS212's a year ago too :meh:

10. I know man it sucks I realy dont think anyone will ever really find a cure for GAS unless you get the mesa cabs lol You could probably get a good price for those aggies, if I remember they look to be in very good condition !

11. drasticDUB

drasticDUB Guest

Mar 13, 2008
    has anybody actually compared mesa and aguilar 2x12's??

12. Rycebag

Rycebag Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    have any of you bought the big block brand new? sorry i was just wondering because im having the hardest time finding those used and im kind of leanig towards just buying it new already but the price is just crazy.

13. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    I got mine used. What's the retail on new ones?

14. drasticDUB

drasticDUB Guest

Mar 13, 2008
    naw, fo real...has anyone played both a mesa 2x12 and an aguilar 2x12. Original question still lingering!

15. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    MESA or SCHROEDER

16. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    I'm tempted to just go buy a Mesa 2x12 and do a comparo so that we can end this once and for all!!

17. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'm 99% sure the difference between the pair of 1x12s stack will be the same as the difference between the 2x12s. So read my review and choose accordingly. They are actually quite different, so the choice should not be a hard one.

18. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Pickles have you compared your 112 to a Scout cab? I read the original thread which was very interesting. I have a GS 410 cab that sounds good with my Walkabout head and I have the Scout and a 1-12 Scout extension cab. Depending on the bass I am using one can sound way better then the other. My Cirrus kills thru the Mesa/Aguilar setup. My Spector Euro 5 sounds killer thru the full Mesa rig. I have to work to get a great sound from my Yamaha BBNE through either setup. The full Mesa rig can sound boomy with the Yamaha etc. I was thinking of picking up a DB750 this summer to add to the mix.

19. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Link? Is it in the reviews section?

20. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    The link is in pickles first post. It is good reading.