Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    hey looks good in the new BP dont it? i wonder how it would sound with a Yamaha SW118 cab....:D

2. Dolan

Dolan

May 23, 2000
    Vienna Md
    I saw that myself. Has anyone had a chance to check it out yet?

3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    It's not due out until next month. :D

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Patience, grasshopper. ;)

The Aguilar GS-212 is not slated for delivery until after the Winter NAMM show. Those of us fortunate enough to go to the show will be filling the rest of us in. Based on the tone of the GS-112, I'd say this is going to be a VERY nice cabinet! :D

5. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Talked to Grasshopper extensively today about Lakland Skyline. Any opinions? I know you guys got a ton of 'em (4 or 5!!) at your store. You are still working at BC aren't you?

Also, have you played them? Have you played on the new EA cx12 cabs? Opinions?

Sorry to break in on another string but there's nothing else to say on the Ag 212 until they're out and about!

Bassmohn@hotmail.com
    Larry K.

6. Anybody try these cabs yet?

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Yup, do a search on it and you'll find a few guys that have them (Dave Siff bought one from me recently, for instance). I've played through them several times, and they're quite good.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    what's the big deal? is there a new one in the works?

are you guys talkin' about this one?

[​IMG]

i've played thru one like this at Bass Boutique in midtown, and loved it! not quite as articulate as Epi's awesome side/side 2x12, but it still had good definition, and "whomp factor". nor did it cost nearly as much. running with a DB750, it was pure gold. :) for my playing, i actually prefer that sound over it going thru a GS410. No offense, cookie! ;)

also, this is probably true for all 2x12's, but i like the fact it has only one tweeter. keeps the passive bass hiss down. also, a 2x12's sound and low end feels more focused than a running a pair of 1x12's. a dual 1x12 setup can sound a bit more diffuse since the tones are eminating from two sources rather than one.

but both are still killer hookups, and honestly, i'd take the portability and stackability of dual GS112s anyday.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh yea, one more thing...

compared to an Epifani side/side i tried at Nicks' shop, the GS212 was the lightest i've carried. and mucho lighter than the 4x10 too. oi... @ 98 lbs., those things could give ya one mean hernia... for someone looking for a relatively light big rig setup, a pair of GS212's could be more than enough to rock medium or large club.

10. My rig now includes a GS210 and a GS212.. even lighter than a pair of 2x12s, and it sounds massive. After I replaced my Eden 4x10 with the Aggie 2x12, I found I really missed the quickness and defintion of 10s. Boy, the 2x10 solved that problem! I feel like I've got the best of both worlds now.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nice setup Dave :D

i'm sure the 2x10 adds that quickness, but i'm sooo laid back in the pocket, i doubt it'd make a diff for me. hehe...

12. Thanks guys. I kinda like the idea of one cab with the 212 even though the two single 112 might be a great way to stay portable. The 212 is pretty small actually. 24x22.5x16.5 I forget what it weighs. 70 ?? I am going to check out a Berg 212 also. The problem with the Berg is it is only 4ohm. All my other cabs are 8ohm. I use a Mesa 400+ and it can accomodate both, but the 8ohm cab wouldn't be as loud as the 4ohm. My total load would be at 2.6 ohm running one 8 and one 4. The aggie comes in 8 or 4. My thought train was using the 212 with my eden 210xlt until I find another cab I like better. But I want which ever 212 I pick to be a stand alone too. I'm sure either the berg or ag will probably do it since I have PA support all the time. Oh the GASSSSSSSS pains

13. Any updates here too? I can't find anyone with a 212 Ag to A/B the Berg 212 or GS112 x 2....

14. Hey man,
    At the Atlanta get-together the other night, bassmonkeee and me meant to A/B the Aguilar 2x12 vs. two 1x12s, but we forgot. We're gonna try to do it real soon, so stay tuned.

15. Thanks Dave, I appreciated the update. You and Monk have a great time. Tear it up!