1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar 359 and 410 xlt ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Ok so Ive been trying to sell a 359 for a year now (obviously not too hard) Its been a rock city Guitars in boston for 5 monthes on consighnment. Now agguilar went and made the list on the thing 3 times what I was trying to get for it so Im Gonna Keep It!

It sounds good but its not all that loud so I figure Ill put on top of a 410xlt (sens.106 db) turn the horn off and Rock out.

Anyone ever try one of these together in a band or at all?

AJ

2. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I recall some time ago I tried this combination at the shop, and I thought the 359 did justice to the 410xlt. I liked the Aggie sound so much that I ended up with a couple of Aguilar pieces, though not the DB359.

3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Is this the general consensus on the DB 359?

I ran across a very clean, used one, yesterday. Kinda funny as they have a price on it very close to the normal street price. They thought I was nuts when I told them that their price was way out of line.

I gave it a go with an SWR Big Bertha and a poorly setup new P bass. Lots of lows and the EQ seemed pretty flexible, given that I was in a very large music store. I never did crank it up to see where the 6550's would go if they were pushed. But overall I was impressed by the tones that I found (with a Big Bertha???). I've never been impressed with the DB 659 preamp which I assume is what the DB 359 supposedly has.

The 50 pounds is heavier than any of my preamp/power amp rigs. And twice the weight of my WT-800 with Korg DTR-1 rig, which is NOT a plus.

Any comment on this amp, in general?

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I used to play through a DB359 and a GS210. The GS210 can cut it in a band situation, but not paired with the DB359. Not enough volume. It is crystal clear sounding, and warm, but not powerful enough.

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Adrian, thanks for the reality check. I'll pass on that one and continue to save my pennies for a Fafner, which has been a very big source of GAS for me.