Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar 359 and 410 xlt ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Ok so Ive been trying to sell a 359 for a year now (obviously not too hard) Its been a rock city Guitars in boston for 5 monthes on consighnment. Now agguilar went and made the list on the thing 3 times what I was trying to get for it so Im Gonna Keep It!

It sounds good but its not all that loud so I figure Ill put on top of a 410xlt (sens.106 db) turn the horn off and Rock out.

Anyone ever try one of these together in a band or at all?

AJ

2. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I recall some time ago I tried this combination at the shop, and I thought the 359 did justice to the 410xlt. I liked the Aggie sound so much that I ended up with a couple of Aguilar pieces, though not the DB359.

3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Is this the general consensus on the DB 359?

I ran across a very clean, used one, yesterday. Kinda funny as they have a price on it very close to the normal street price. They thought I was nuts when I told them that their price was way out of line.

I gave it a go with an SWR Big Bertha and a poorly setup new P bass. Lots of lows and the EQ seemed pretty flexible, given that I was in a very large music store. I never did crank it up to see where the 6550's would go if they were pushed. But overall I was impressed by the tones that I found (with a Big Bertha???). I've never been impressed with the DB 659 preamp which I assume is what the DB 359 supposedly has.

The 50 pounds is heavier than any of my preamp/power amp rigs. And twice the weight of my WT-800 with Korg DTR-1 rig, which is NOT a plus.

Any comment on this amp, in general?

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I used to play through a DB359 and a GS210. The GS210 can cut it in a band situation, but not paired with the DB359. Not enough volume. It is crystal clear sounding, and warm, but not powerful enough.

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Adrian, thanks for the reality check. I'll pass on that one and continue to save my pennies for a Fafner, which has been a very big source of GAS for me.