Aguilar 359.. CRACKLE..CRACKLE...I'm stumped

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndyGL, Mar 11, 2002.

1. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    This is wierd...I just got back from practicing in the basement of the local music store. ( the guitar player owns the store) We've played down there many times, but this was only the second time with this new amp. Last week when we practiced, everything was fine. The amp sat for a week in its rack bag. Anyway, all of a sudden my new Ag head starts to make a crackle sound every few minutes. Even when my bass is not pluged in and it just sits there. The more it warms up the more crackley it sounds. I changed out the new speaker cord, changed to a different bottom and still every few minutes crackle, crackle. I isolate the problem ...I'm now assuming it's the head. I'm thinking ****, I got a gig this weekend and now I have to pack up this brand new sucker and ship it back to Aguilar. So I bring it home, plug it into another bottom and viola, it's fine. No crackle sound. I'm thinkin, what the what? FYI-I can get a crackle sound at home if I give the back of the amp a stiff rap with the palm of my hand but I would assume this would be normal with any tube head. Right?

Anybody out there have any idea what's happening here. Is it the head, the electric in the store ( by the way I went home, and got my trusty Dual Showman, brought it to the store and no crackle there). Is Mercury in retrograde? I'm Stumped. Has any Aguilar 359 people had a similar problem?

2. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Sounds like a tube to me. I would try wiggling all the tubes in their sockets a little bit, but I won't advise you to do that because you will burn your fingers and/or electrocute yourself if you are not careful. The wiggling sometimes lets you figure out which tube it is and then you replace it with the spares you always have with you.

Other suspects: loose connection somewhere in the signal path; bad capacitor.

This type of random noise is one of the reasons I don't use tube stuff any more - there's always something, it seems.
  3. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY

Thanks for your advice. This morning when I turn the amp on it buzzed and crackled horrendously. I think its more then a tube but I surely wouldn't rule that out. I just lightly touched the front panel and the thing went beserk. I decided to just call Aguilar. After discribing the problem they issued me an RA#. It went out UPS today. Rob in production told me Alex will be checking it out tommorrow and getting it back to me pronto...I sure hope so, I need it this weekend. He said he understood.

Tubes...a love/hate relationship. But, love is blind.

4. too bad love isn't deaf or this wouldn't be a problem.:D

5. That is priceless!!
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i hear you man. i've got mr. pletka shipping me a set of JJ tubes for my IOD. to replace the Ei's that replaced the groove tubes that replaced the OEM tubes - after all of them failed for one reason or another.

i just need to get a freakin combo amp so i don't have to lug my rack around everywhere!!!

7. Sounds like maybe a loose connection. Probably in a tube socket. Maybe a bad tube...

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The 12AU7 in my amp worked it's way loose after a few practices. It started to lose contact, and began to crackle. I had a pretty good idea that this was the case, and after unscrewing about 100 screws, I just wiggled the tube back in. It is not a big deal.....the tube sockets don't seem to suit the amp. The 12AX7 has a more "proper" tube socket for a bass amp. Doesn't bother me too much though. After all it sounds amazing!:D
  9. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    Yeh...I can't understand why a tube amp would be designed where you need to take out so many screws just to get the Pre-amp tubes. The power tubes are a bit easier to get to but still too many screws. I'm assuming to get this amp in just two rack spaces was the challenge.