1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar 4P-60 P-Bass pickups...WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Texan, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    For the past couple of weeks I have been building a Pino Palladino-esque clone. I used the 60s style cloth braid wire, oil/paper capacitor, everything that I could to get as close to a 60s PBass/Pino clone that I could. The body was already beat up so all I did was polish it back to a shine. When I picked the Aguitar AP-60 pups, they turned out to be back ordered, so I wired the bass as much as possible and put it on my wall. There it sat for 22 days. Today the pups came and the last two solder points were complete. I hooked up the Genz Streamliner 900 to the Bergantino AE410, plugged up the bass and BOOM!!! The tone was full, not overly gassy, middy or trebly, but just that exact sound that you hear on almost every P Bass recording that was done in the 60s or with a 60s precision. The sound was "it". To compare, I grabbed my Lakland Duck Dunn that has Seymour Duncan Antiquities loaded in it and even though I LOVE the Duncans, the Aguilars are just the exact time of the 60s. The Duncans are a tad bit muddied by comparison. The Duck Dunn will now be my flats PBass and the Pino will have standard round wounds. Give the Aguilars a try if you want a 60s tone, they "wow'd" me from the first note.

0429151911_zps37yn9ll9.

PawleeP, Yahboy, lowerclef and 3 others like this.
  2. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Nice bass. Sounds like it was worth the wait. I use Aguilar noiseless Jass Bass pickups which sound amazingly vintage especially because I have not found any other dual or split coil Jazz pickup that did

3. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    First gig with these pups and after the first set, several musicians in the crowd who are regulars here have complimented the sound of the bass. These are incredible pups. The are fantastic in the mix. Using a Genz Streamliner 900 and Bergantino AE410 cab tonight. It sound very close to a vintage rig with the bass.

LoveThatBass likes this.
  4. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    I have Aguilar Jazz pickups and love em!