Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar 680/728 cab recomendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacove, Jun 28, 2004.

1. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hi there,

any suggestions for cabs that goes well with the Aguilar 680/728. I've tried Bergantino HT322 and the NV610, also a 210UL Epifani. The HT322 I found sounded pretty good but the airy smoothness somehow made the tone too open. The NV610 sounded really great but somehow didn't manage to repoduce all of the great low end of the Aguilar. That said, this cab is killer for vintage tone. The Epifani sounded great, a bit more defined and punchy plus a qiucker response, but sounded a bit thin compared to the bigger Berg cabs. I am really considering a bigger Epifani, maybe 2x12 or 4x10. I like a warm, tight and punchy tone, something tells these bigger Epifani cabs might do the trick. :bassist:

2. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    GS410 comes to my mind :eyebrow:

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    GS410 would be nice. :)

Another good option would be a GS210/GS212 combination. I'm running my DB680/DB728 through a GS212 by itself for now, and it sounds great, but I'll probably add a GS210 sometime in the future to tighten up my mids a bit and to cut through a little better.

4. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I used to use a GS410 with mine, but I greatly prefer the sound of the Epifani T410 with the Aggie big-rig. It's beefier, fuller, and sounds better off-axis. Plus the Epifani seems like it has a harder hitting punch ...

5. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I have the db680, berg 322 and nv610. I play a 5 string and I realy like the 610 but after using two 322s for most of my shows, I got use to the huge low end of the ht cabs. I tried the new nv425 and to me it sounds like the nv610 but with a bigger low end. If you like the punch and tone of the 610 but thought the low end wasnt enough, you need to try the nv425. Great cab!

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    epifani, no doubt.

7. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    thanks for the response, guys! would you recommend the Epifani 2x12 or the 4x10 to go with my 210UL.?

8. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    All depends on if you're looking for a more cutting sound that's very punchy or quick, or a warmer sound that's a bit thumpier. I notice the 12's are heavier in the mids, and the 10's seem to be flatter in the mids.

9. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Man, I'll bet the Bergantino NV-215 would be the ultimate cab for the Aguilar Big Dog Rig.

10. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I bet it would - why don't you get one and i'll bring the Big Dog over to play. :D

11. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Well, if I'm looking for a tight warm low-mid thumb sound with great note seperation....The Bergantino HT322 brought me close, but when playng in a band setting it just sounded too open. It didn't cut through the mix the way I want. Judging from my Epi 210UL, Epifani cabs seem a bit more aggresive and punchy, which tells me they might cut through a mix better. Do you fnid that the 2x12 Epi delivers tight and punchy low end to cut through the mix nice and solid?

12. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Based on what you said, I think the T212 NYC would work the best for you. Not as aggressive as the Epi 10's, but still much better note seperation and definition than any other 2x12 on the market IMHO. The NYC is going to get you a bigger bottom than the UL, with more thickness. Epifani 12's also seem to have a nice upper midrange that really cuts through, without being as harsh as the 10's.

13. Not the exact same setup but when I was doing larger venues, I was using a DB750 & (2) 322 and I'd have to agree with the 'open' thing. I downsized to (1) Bag End 410XB and set it up on a stand about belly high and was very pleased w/ the results.

14. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I was in the same boat, couldnt get the 322s to cut through. Ive made some changes and well.... We played one of the loudest gig Ive ever played. Lead guitar had a full stack, the second lead had a half stack and the rythme guitar had a half stack. They had a volume war and cranked up and then had the guitars cranked up in the monitors (three 15" cabs with only guitar and vocals in them). I asked them all to turn down and turn down in the pa. They wouldnt so I turned up and they all said " go---mm you bass is loud!" Once I got over the hump of the right power and right eq every thing has been fine. Before that I was about to switch to epifani too. Glad I didnt. Everyone has a different ear though, try some out if you can.

15. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Gotta qualify though - sure the T410 cuts through, but for when you want a HUGE sound that's very deep, but don't want aggressive, just very smooth - it's hard to beat the 322.

16. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    sorry to hijack, but how would you compare the db750/728 combo with the db680 pre and (any) power amp?

17. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Why would you combine those 2? The DB750 already has a SS power section.

If you're talking about the DB680/DB728 vs. DB680/ss poweramp, you're going to notice less of an even frequency response, a quicker attack, generally brighter sound, and less punch. However, a lot of the midrange textures come through better as well. In comparison, you can really tell that the DB728 was designed to fit the DB680 perfectly.

18. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    db750/728?! That's a bit much, don't you think? ;)

19. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    D'oh! I knew that, I was thinking ahead of myself. :eyebrow:

20. Not give another plug to the Bag End line, but I would lead someone looking for the 'big' sound...the AF1A - Time Align. Man...1 of them sill loosen the bowels. An 18", a 12", and a 1" driver. AND more cost effective IF you're thinking of (2) 322's. I kinda consider them the last step before you actually spend some REAL money on Meyer or Clair Bros.