Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

aguilar 680 bass and treble - boost only?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, Oct 11, 2004.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    quick question out of sheer curiosity
    the aggie site is still off and i cant call em till teusday so i'll ask here for no other reason than to find out fast because i hate to wait :p

the aggie literature says the bass and treble controls on the 680 preamp are boost/cut
    when i played one a few days ago (while really trying out an ag 500) i noticed that the bass and treble controls on the 680 don't have center detents like they do on all other aguilar amps and on the 1 space unit (659?). they felt similar to the knobs on the outboard preamp. It aslo sounded to me like they were only boosting.

so if anyone really knows, are they really boost only? or was it just my imagination?

2. I just checked the DB680 manual. The parametric EQ is +12/-12 boost and cut, but for treble and bass controls the manual states:

Treble: Tube driven shelving type, boosts up to 12db. The center frequency is set at 4kHz.

Bass: Tube driven shelving type, boosts up to 12db. The center frequency is set at 40Hz.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    woah,

i never really realized this! so, i guess true flat for the DB680 is with the trebs and bass all the way down.

hmm... this puts a curve into my usual settings. time to go experiment!

4. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    ditto, I thought the swith for bass and treb was boost and the knobs were boost/cut.

5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah, that's what sruck me. even before i realized that the knobs didn't haev center detents i had just used the aggie 500 with the same bass. One listen and i instanly knew that i wasnt listening to a flat sound with those knobs at 12 o'clock, (and yes the bright and deep switches were off)

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you know, I never realised this either :oops:

7. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification
    Hey guys, just to clarify.

The DB 680 is designed to sound neutral at 12:00 and give a logical place to work from. The bass and treble eq's are shelving type.

The Ag 500 has two distinctly different preamps in it.
    The clean channel is active and does cut and boost from 12:00. The OD channel is passive and employs shelving eq.

Hope this is helpful.

8. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    so, does that mean that it's flat at 12 o clock? - if so, why no center detents on those two controls? It didnt sound flat to me at 12 oclock, especially on the bass knob.

not that it doesnt sound good, it sounds like the hammer of thor. :p

9. Aguilar/Dave B.

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    If you were to make a graph, it wouldn't be flat all the way across. The key for us when we are designing a preamp is that it sounds musical and is flexible in a logical and musical way. When designing an amp (as opposed to a preamp), the goals are different.
    We view the amplification system (including the pickups and the cabs) as the other half of the sound of the electric bass. We don't approach it from the stand point that all the tone is done in the bass and all we need to do is make it louder.
    Re: detents, not generally done on shelving eq, because there is no symetrical cut and boost.
    If you need a little less bass from the preamp, you know what to do!

Dave

P.S. Thanks for the compliment!

10. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Since we're complimenting Aggie right now!

I just played a DB695 at GC 2 weeks ago and it blew me out of the water....it had me doubting my M-Pulse. Good job!

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It says the same thing in the DB750 manual, but I've been assured by those in the know that they are indeed cut/boost.

12. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The DB 659 1u pre doesn't have detents.

13. Aguilar/Dave B.

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City

First off, you have the best picture here! Second, please PM me if someone actually from Aguilar told you that they are cut and boost. I'd really like to know!
    I can assure you that they are indeed shelving type eq's on the DB 750. You do get the effect of more or less bass and treble and mids as you move the pots. Also, we really have designed 12:00 to be a natural sounding starting place.

The only preamps that we have made with symetrical cut and boost are the OBP-3 and the normal (clean) channel on the AG 500.

So there :)

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    It was IvanMike. He owns 51 percent of Aguilar, you know. BTW, is Dave A. still at Aguilar? If so, say hi to him for me. I bought a couple basses from him at Long Ly's old store.

15. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the aguilar literature i have says that teh bass and treble are shelving type, +/- 12 dB. That sort of implies boost and cut no?

16. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    For which amp?

17. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the db 750, db 359, db680, and db659 - its from the catalog before the release of the ag 500 that says amplify yourself on the left hand side and shows a db 359 on the right on top of what looks lie ka 410 cab.

and i own 64% of aguilar......... :p

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, I think the shelving/boost cut issue is predominantly semantics. If 12 o'clock is set to the "natural sounding starting place," then left becomes increasingly unnatural to the less bass/treble side, and clockwise increases the unnaturalness to the more bass/treble side. Sounds a lot like boost/cut to me.

19. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it sounds a lot like semantics. In fact, i've never heard anyone else call a shelving type eq not boost/cut before.
    once again, nothing against aguilar in the least, the amps are all tops. It just seems like a very odd distinction. Likewise, I'd love to see what the frequency response graph looks like for the 680 with both controls at 12 o'clock, as well as at different settings. Alembic has graphs available for the f-2b/f-1x based on various settings, the most "flat" of which is 2-10-2 (bass mid treble - not o'clock settings, but rather as numbered around the knobs themselves). I know i'm sounding a bit anal retentive here but #1, i'm a curious bastard, and #2, compared to all the other aguilar amps and the 659 the 680 sounds like the bass and treble are boosted when those controls are at 12 o'clock.

20. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yeah, you're right. This is from the specs on the DB750:

EQ Section: Tube-driven shelving type treble (+/ - 12dB @4kHz), mid (+/ - 12dB @ 400Hz), and bass (+/ - 12dB @ 40Hz) controls.