Aguilar 728 problem.Amp experts please read.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theJello, Sep 11, 2000.

1. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    I had posted something on this before but now have some more info.

First off here is the problem I am having.
    When the volume control is full counter clockwise position there is still some sound coming through the speakers.
    As I rotate the the control clockwise the volume dips to
    nothing at about 8 oclock then comes back in again.
    Strange huh?
    I sent it off to aguilar to be repaired.
    When I got it back it had the EXACT same problem.
    Aguilar told me they werent even able to duplicate the problem I was having. When they got the amp though it didnt even work. A resistor had broken off. Thanks UPS.

I tried plugging straight into the power amp and it does the same thing. At least I know its not the pre-amp.

The only other variable is my speaker cabinet.
    It an Epifani 3x10. It has a 5.3 ohm load. I was wondering if this odd load could have something to do with it.
    The load switch on the amp is set to 4 ohms.

The whole thing is frustrating. Any help appreciated.

[Edited by theJello on 09-11-2000 at 11:32 AM]
  2. This sounds awfully frustrating for so many reasons. It's horrible to have gear malfunction; to have an expensive piece like Aguilar go bad is adding salt in the wound.

Call Epiphani to see if they have encountered this issue. I know Matt Garrison uses their 3x10 w/ an Aguilar preamp and amp set up.

Good luck.
  3. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Whoa. Thanks for letting me know that psycho.
    Im to young to die:)
    I can see it now. 26 year old bassist killed by amp.
    Anyways, I take what you said seriously.

I talked to Dave Booneshaft and he said they did extensive testing. The same testing they do to all their amp before they ship. He also said he personly played through it before it was shipped back to me. I dont know how easily the thing that you were talking about would get by them though. Joris thought it was just a dirty wiper in the pot.
    I will try to better explain the problem to you. Im curious what else you might think.

When the volume control is in full counter clockwise position there is some sound coming through the speakers.
    Not alot of volume. As if the amp was set to about 1.
    As I rotate the volume control clockwise the volume fades to 0 at about 8 oclock. If I keep rotating the volume control past 8 oclock the volume fades back in a again and seems to function normally after that.Hope that seems clear.
    Im gonna get a hold of alex aguilar today hopefully.
    Im still curious what you think though.

[Edited by theJello on 09-13-2000 at 09:05 AM]