1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar AG 4J-Hot & SIRE V7

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JtSD619, Apr 12, 2018.

1. JtSD619

JtSD619

Nov 10, 2011
    San Diego
    I'm interested in replacing my current stock pups in my Sire V7, with the Aguilar AG 4J-Hot pups. Anyone have any experience with this or have gone this route? I know ZERO about pups and the inner workings of the bass. The AG 4J-Hot pups are considered "Passive", but my Sire V7 is an active/passive bass. Any feed back there? Bare with me guys. Thanks

2. JtSD619

JtSD619

Nov 10, 2011
    San Diego
    bump

3. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Ok, I'll take a crack at this, as long as all can agree this is general not specific to brands and types specified...

The general rule of thumb on "hot" pickups is that they are that way as a result of over-winding. This tends to emphasize mids. Did you land o the AG 4J Hot because you like the tone?

Lots of basses have preamps and passive pickups. That's pretty common actually.

It all works together, but the pickup selection has a lot more to do with your sound that the preamp.

Make sure your replacement pickup is dimensionally compatible with (will fit in) your bass.

Have someone do this for you, especially if you don't have soldering equipment/skills. Not that hard to change pickups if you can solder and also if you are comfortable with combing what you see when you open your bass with wiring diagram that comes with the new pickups. I usually get out a pencil and make notes right on the directions and take no less that 5 or 6 cell phone pics of what goes where before I take stuff apart. You can get a wicked ground buzz if you have a bad solder joint somewhere. This can even be from a solder connection that's not necessarily even a ground. All soldering needs to be tight and right. I use liquid flux in a little squeeze bottle that has a syringe looking deal on the end that looks like an iv needle. It was super cheap. got it on ebay from the same place i got my silver solder and flux. Watch youtube videos if you aren't familiar with these materials. Most that you look at are pretty specific about what you need to be successful. Don't want to scare you about soldering, but also don't want you to fail...

If you've gotten this far and still want to try this, there are 3 more things to address.
    1. Make sure the pickups are compatible with your desired string spacing. If you look at pictures of basses (or look at actual basses) up close, many have the little pole pieces on the pickups right over the strings. On many pickups if your string spacing is more narrow or more wide than the pickup is designed for, it may sound "weak" on that particular string or strings.
    2. Set your pickup height correctly. For example if you tighten the pickup down as far as it will go, the distance from the strings may result in a weak sound. too close and the opposite will happen. This is something that I generally play with until I get a happy balance between the front and the back pickup, on a 2 pickup bass. In other words, one soloed at full vol. is the same loudness as the other.
    3. Make sure you have everything you need. Not sure what Aguilar does, but lots of pickup manufactures don't include screws. You might be able to re-use the ones in your bass, but sometimes the holes in the pickup are too small to accommodate the existing ones. Also, sponge foam or (I've also seen) little springs that stick onto the back of the pickups are part of the install. I usually use thick foam tape that has a sticky side to it that sticks right on the back of the pickup. If your pickup cavity is super deep, you might have to double up the foam tape. Haven't done this in years, but last time I did, Max at Best Bass Gear fixed me up with everything I needed to install a set of Delano Soapbars I ordered from him...

Hope this helps!!

JtSD619 likes this.
  4. JtSD619

JtSD619

Nov 10, 2011
    San Diego
    Thank you for the feed back! Ive always felt my Sire lacks in the mids and overall "beef" if you will, though its a fantastic bass for the value. The band I'm in plays melodic hardrock/metal, and after reading a description of the pups, they sparked my interest. I really appreciate the detailed response.

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Wfrance3 likes this.