1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar AG 500, comments?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kellogc, Feb 27, 2008.

1. kellogc

kellogc Kello Bass Extravaganza!

Apr 3, 2003
    Guadalajara, México
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    I've just gotten a DB410 cab, which absolutely rocks! Though I think I am not getting the most out of it since I currently own a Hartke 3500 amp head. Given this I've been seriously thinking on getting a new amp. The first obvious choice was to go for an Aguilar DB750, but price will be an issue, plus I'm not sure I'll be getting a 2nd cab anytime soon. The 2nd choice was to go for an Aguilar AG500 amp.

Any comments on this amp? What would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

2. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I had the single-channel AG500 for a while. It's very warm for a solid-state head. It's also somewhat mid-voiced. The EQ is very simple and straightforward, and it can get very loud. I'm guessing the 500W rating is somewhat conservative. I used mine with a pair of the Aguilar GS112's and it sounded great. I'm sure it would work well with the DB410. What kind of music are you playing?

3. kellogc

kellogc Kello Bass Extravaganza!

Apr 3, 2003
    Guadalajara, México
    My playing goes from soft jazz to hard-core metal, lots of experimental stuff with ups and downs. I like to slap-pluck-strum so I'd say I like rock sounding bass with enough versatility to handle soft and hard passages.

4. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    The AG500 would certainly fit the bill, IMO. Again, the EQ is very simple. If you don't like to mess with a bunch of knobs, it's great. However, some may view it as a limitation. I would definitely try before you buy.

I would also recommend that you try out a Thunderfunk TF550B. It's a much more versatile head (lots of EQ options), and I've seen comments here that it pairs well with the DB Series cabs.

5. Groovin

Groovin

May 25, 2006
    Wash, D.C.
    I have owned the AG500SC and the AG500. Both were waay too mid voiced for my taste. If you are using a mid polite bass or a passive Jazz or the like, then this may not be the case for you. I agree with the above poster that they are very warm sounding for SS but retain the quickness of the type.

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I loved the AG500-SC when I had it. I got a Thunderfunk 550B a while later and agree with kobass - it's a more versatile head. But that doesn't mean that the Aguilar doesn't cover a lot of ground, and honestly if I were buying another 500w light head again I'd probably pick the Aguilar if I was pairing it with Aguilar cabs. With both heads I didn't have to do much EQing to get a great tone, it just sounded very nice out of the box with everything flat.

7. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    I'm an Aguilar endorser, and try to stay out of these kinds of discussions to avoid sounding like a sales person. This time I think I can offer some insight that I haven't heard yet.
    I play rock and country. I used to use Hartke, and then switched to an AG500SC and a DB410. I think it's a great pairing. The only EQing that I do when on REALLY big stages is to use the bass boost. This might have been a bigger issue because the cab was not coupled to the floor.
    When I run the same amp with a DB112, I run the amp flat.
    It's plenty warm, without getting mushy. I think you'll be happy with the amp.
    One other note: The good folks at Aguilar recommended the 4ohm cab to get the most out of the 500. It gets stupid loud. I don't think you'll be hurting for headroom with the 8ohm, as the DB112/500 alone handles a lot of gigs.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    IME, simply backing off the high mids or lower mids knobs will give you a more balanced even sound. but i never really found the aguilar head that naturally mid forward. also, if the original poster is dealing w/ a metal band, i think the more mids the better.

i really like the 750 w/ the db series cabs, only cause the 750 lacks a proper midrange frequency adjustment, and the inherent middle bumped sound of the db cabs makes up for that. but the two together make a formidable combo.

frankly, to my ears, anything brand on brand, aguilar included, will sound pretty dang good.

keep in mind, the cab's impedence. cause if its only 8 ohms, w/ the ag500, that might only be pushing a measily 300 or so watts for that hardcore metal band you speak of, and i have a feeling headroom and volume will run out fast.

9. +1
    I find that if I roll back the mids to around 11 o'clock the sound is a little more flat, but depending on what I'm going for I usually like the mid bump of the ag500. It sounds like this would be a good choice for the OP, I know I love mine.

10. Groovin

Groovin

May 25, 2006
    Wash, D.C.
    +1 as well. I was able to find a workable tone by rolling out the mids. And as far as the volume goes... yeah you want a 4ohm cab for metal brother. At 8ohms, you will find that you need a bit more.

11. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I'll add that the AG500 is one of the few heads I've owned that sounds amazing set completely flat. I like a fat sound with clarity, and IMO/IME this bad boy has it right out of the box. The only EQ'ing I ever do is to engage the deep and bright switches, and I occasionally back off the hi-mids for a rounder tone. Oh, and this head seems to be much louder than its wattage indicates.

Soundchaser11460 likes this.
  12. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I recently sold my AG500 off, but I will really miss that head. It sounded absolutely great. It had good features if you like having an OD channel (which despite my plethora of OD pedals now was still the best OD I've heard to date). If you have outboard pedals, then perhaps a AG500SC is good enough. Between the 750 and the 500, It really depends on your volume requirements. Mine were pretty strenuous, and the AG500 still was more than adequate most of the time. I haven't played the DB series cabs, so I can't tell you what will work well with them, however I will say that I think like Joker said above...most of the time Brand Pairing works really well.

If you can afford one, find one used, have outboard pedals and don't mind lugging the lead sled around, the DB750 is a wicked head and that's what I'd go with.