1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar AG4M semi-review/comparative Stingray 3-band EQ video

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Clemouze, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Clemouze

Clemouze

Sep 1, 2016
    Paris - France
    Hello,

I bought an Aguilar AG4M to replace the stock pickup of my 2000 3-band EQ Stingray.
    (The reasons : Weak G string, Strong E string and annoying pole pieces )

I didn't found lot of recording and review about this AG4M but I took the risk to buy it.

Just before changing the pickup, I decided to make some recordings to compare the stock and the Aguilar pickup ( if someone could send the video to my past-me, he'll be happy )

Since it was not planned, I didn't take too much time to do it, so I only played impro stuff and BADLY i have to admit, but you can have an idea of the general tone of the pickup.

So here is the link :

The summary is in the description of the video! Not exhaustive review but I think I covered a good field of playing

My thoughts :

- E and G strings seem to pass closer to the pole pieces center on the Aguilar than on the stock Pickup
    - No Weak G string !!
    -
    Less bassy tone
    - Less harsh, high-endy tone
    - Better string to string balance
    - Maybe a slight natural compression ?
    - The 3-band EQ is now more usable and musical
    - Flat pole pieces, good to play

( For info I'm French and not so good in English )

ex-tension and birminghambass like this.
  2. Benny4P

Benny4P Supporting Member

Many thanks for that. Really helpful for those considering a pickup swap.

3. Clemouze

Clemouze

Sep 1, 2016
    Paris - France
    Thanks
    I made this comparative with the same conditions ( gear, knob dialed, strings and pickup height )
    Maybe it would be more significant to do the comparative using both pickup at their best.

For example : more EQ for the Aguilar since it is more polite, or play with the pup height. I don't know if it is made to be used with the same spec-height than the stock one ( spec from the FAQ "how To setup my bass " on the ernie ball site)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  4. Benny4P

Benny4P Supporting Member

Good point. I actually think the way you did it is better though. Leave all conditions unchanged and only examine the influence of the pickup. Btw, I agree with your assessment that the Aguilar sounds a little more compressed. Works really well with the preamp

5. seansbrew

seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I just swapped out the stock pup in my 2017 MM Stingray with the Aguilar AG4M. I did not put in the Aguilar pre-amp.

The pick up Sounds fantastic and I agree with the OP.

The weak G string is gone (please not debates on this, if your g is just fine, I believe you).

The sound is more vintage stingray (no, not like the two band, just closer than it was before)

I would describe the sound as buttery (in a good way).

The true test will be the two gigs I have this weekend. So far so good, I'm really happy with the balance, tonal pallete to play with and the level pole pieces.

I'll post an update after the shows. Both will be outside.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021