1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar AG500-112C at GC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So I saw an Aggie AG500-112C at GC today for $1,099. Any opinions on this combo? I think the price is pretty decent, and I might think about haggling them on Monday for it. I'm just wondering if there are any major issues with this one, since Aguilar discontinued it.

2. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    The only reason Aguilar discontinued it is because there's no market for those high-end combos. Same reason why Epifani is discontinuing all of their UL series combos.

I'd say go for it if you like the sound.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    the ag550 w/ the gs112 is pretty awesome. to those who think gs112's dont have superb punch, have obviously not boosted the lower mids knob on the ag500.

shame combos arent as popular as they used to be. but it is a hefty bugger, and its one reason why i never got one.

4. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Thanks for the reply. Have you played one? I didn't play it today but, if I go back Monday, I'll ring it out with a new American Jazz Deluxe V they have on the wall. They also have one of the new American Standard Precision Vs there.

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    It's only 60 pounds. Beats the heck out of lugging a 50-pound head and 100-pound cab.

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK, I played it again today, and I like it a lot. They've got it marked at cost (50% of list), and they're not going to move. Talk me into it or out of it, starting now.

7. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Outside of the weight, there's not a lot to dislike about them -- really, really nice tone.

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Munji? With a 12" speaker?! Geeze, I remember when it was Eden 10"s or nothing. What's this world coming to? :D

I've not played the 112 combo. I liked the 212 I played very much, and that price seems reasonable, so I say go for it.

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    My man. I just sold the only 15 I owned. I'm not big on 12's, but I have one in my HT322 and one in my SWR WM12. I can live with the embarrassment of owning a couple 12's. I like the sound of the Aggie ... it's crisp on top with a robust but not mushy bottom.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I have the 2 channel 2 12 combo and it rocks my bass hard ! :bassist:

11. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    If I didn't have a Walkabout Scout combo I would have snagged one by now. I haven't played one but at that weight and price I would want it badly :)

12. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    So. Why are you waiting? Go out and get it :p

Pedro

13. I have the head (and a single GS112). It's one of the best bass amps I've ever heard and used. I normally use it with an Epi 410. Great tone! And plenty of power. The distortion channel is super cool! :hyper:

14. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I've never heard the cab but I love the head. Buying the pair used on TB would almost certainly cost you as much as GC is asking for that combo new, and that's before you figure in shipping costs.

15. Groovin

Groovin

May 25, 2006
    Wash, D.C.
    I own one. I use it for smaller gigs where bringing my IP310 just doesnt make sense. It is very nice sounding with Jazz type basses IMO. It can be a bit of a POA with my Roscoe at times though. I find that I have to dial out a decent amount of EQ since the amp/cab has a voice all its own that just overwhelms with a very strongly voiced bass. Overall though, it is the nicest "combo" amp I've ever played. Bulletproof too.

16. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I liked the GS112 for what it does. The combo seems to have the whole thing going. I'd say that for that price if you have the coin, your getting a good deal.

17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK, I pulled the trigger today. I picked it up on the way to band practice.

Bad news/good news.

I got there and plugged it in, then hit the power switch. There was a little hum coming through the speaker until I hit the "Operate" switch. Then there was a loud, obnoxious 60-cycle hum coming through the speaker. Nothing I could do got rid of it. So I'm all, "Crap! Brand new amp going to the shop." (Remember, this is a discontinued amp, the only one in the store, sold at cost. So I could get my money back, but not a replacement amp.)

Well, I decided to live with the hum for the night because that thing sounds SO bitchen. I was playing my J-Retro JO5 through it and, between the versatility of the bass and that of the amp, I could get any tone I wanted. I can't figure out how Aguilar gets that tone and that volume out of a single 12. It is LOUD, and I never had the gain or the volume above 12 o'clock, playing against drums, 2 guitars and keys.

So even with the major hum, I was feeling no buyer's remorse.

OK, so the keyboard player showed up at about 7:00 and, in the course of getting power to his rig, he had to unplug the space heater we had going in the garage. Instantly, the obnoxious hum disappeared. It was the danged heater putting crud on the voltage. So now I'm in total hog heaven.

So bottom line, this is one of the most satisfying pieces of gear I've bought in a long time. It far surpassed my expectations, and is going to make life a lot easier on my back.

18. I wish my guitar center had something other than GK backline and Ampeg.

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    You can't tell me they don't have MarkBass! Anyway, this GC is clearing out their Aguilar stuff. They have an AG500 head, a GS212 cab and a DB210 cab left. They have a lot of Fender, too.

20. As a matter of fact, they have no idea what markbass is.