1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar AG500 and Eden XST410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayer2106, Apr 17, 2006.

1. I currently use an Aguilar AG500 with an Aguilar GS210 cab, I find the pair very middly, does anyone use this head with an Eden cab, and does it reduce the middly quality.

The tone controls on the Aguilar don't seem to be very wide reaching.

2. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I tried out an AG500SC with an Aguilar GS212 and it sounded great. It wasn't middy at all, just loads and LOADS of punch.

3. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Saw your FS adds over on bassworld. I have the AG500SC and run it through a tech soundsystems 4x12 and it sounds fantastic, and bloody loud for 250 watts (8 ohm cab but it is very efficient). I'd try other cabs before judging the amp too harshly if I were you. Try a good 15 with it and then decide...

4. Yeah, I'm thinking now of trying it with an Eden or an EBS 4x10.
    I'm not a great fan of 15" speakers to be honest, I've tried them and always end up going back to 10's, must be the Mark King influence coming out.

5. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    I know what you mean about 10s. They have a punchy quality that it's difficult to find in a larger speaker size. Try the tech soundsystems stuff at the bass merchant if you can. I bought my 4x12 unheard and I'm totally chuffed with it (and it weighs about the same as a pair of socks - ok not really but much less than it looks). The 2x12 would probably be perfect for you (about 20lbs lighter than your 2x10 too) . 12s definately seem to be a nice compromise between 10s and 15s.

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I like 12s- I used to be a hardcore 10 lover, but the 12 gives you tons of punch, it's quick like a 10 but has the bootay you get with a 15. I haven't heard many 15s I really like, they're usually too "floppy" for my ears.

That said, I just got a Schroeder 1210, and I love it- it does have a distinct low-mid to mid-mid "bark" to it, but the thing carries like nobody's business, and it still keeps a fair amount of bootay. Good compromise for me. I, too, am heavily influenced by Mark King, though I have less of a "smiley" EQ these days, having come to the realization that the mids are where the soul of the bass actually lives...

7. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I think the XST is 8 ohms only. With that head, you'll really want a 4 ohm cab.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hmm...

aguilar? goooood. eden? gooooood. aguilar again? gooooood. :D

but seriously, using the upper and lower mid knobs should help in cutting out that middiness.

havent tried the XST yet, but from all accounts, it does seem to be a more neutrally voiced speaker.

btw, little OT tip: try using the overdrive channel, set the saturation knob to "0", flip on the bass and treble switches, and BAM, instant, pseudo "tubey" tones. pretty fun. :cool:

9. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Try the AG with a GS212 ... should be just what you are looking for. The 212 has way less mids than the 210.