Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar AG500, Ashdown ABM500 Evo II or ?? - need input for my next amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Selta, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Hey all, it's me looking for input on my future amp setup. I've been browsing TB and reading about various amps, and through reading I seem to like the Aguilar AG500 and the Ashdown AMB500 evo II heads. Right now I use an Ashdown combo, and like it a lot (great sound, 200W to the internal 1x12 and ext. 1x15) but it lacks in a good overdriven sound (as, IMO, most solid state amps do). From what I've read, both of the aformentioned heads will give a good, natural overdriven sound, as well as good clean tone. What I'm wondering though, is several things. Are there many other options for amps that will give a *good* tube like overdriven sound (without going to a tube amp), is not heavey (say, <30lbs), has footswitchable channels (one for clean playing, the other for overdrive), and somewhere in the ball park of 500W? I'd like to keep the price <$1300 for the head. If it matters much, cab wise I'll be looking to get a Scheroder 3101212 (when they come out), or if I can't get that for whatever reason, a 2x12 2x10 setup (need suggestions for good compliments for all the heads - which cabs would go with which heads best?). I'd like to keep the entire cost <$2250. I've more questions, but I think that's suffice for now ;)

Ray

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I'd suggest an EBS TD-650 w/a pair of EBS NEO 112.
    Not sure, but I think this should fit your budget.

Hope this helps,
    JL

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Who's an online dealer that I may look at these? Thanks

Ray

Edit: found one online... it lists for $2800, so I'm not sure it'd fall in the <$1300 head category :meh:

Ray

4. how about a a sans amp? and power section? or sans amp ashdown head/pre / power set up?

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Not really looking to do pre/power at the moment, don't want that hassle...
    Thunderfunk anyone?

Ray

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I'd say ashdown abm 500 with a 4x10 and 1x15 or 8x10 or even on of those 2x10 1x15 all in one heads.

I hear thunderfunk are great and light, I kinda fancy one btu I still love ashdown to much.

You could also consider the mini 4x8 cab and the mini 1x5 that would be a killer set up but I know how much you like your big cab's. Acoustic 2x15 and peavey 4x12 at the same time.

Maybe SWR as well but not sure how much they go for.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Well, I don't want to lug around an 8x10. The 4x10 + 1x15 isn't bad, but I never cared for them much. 4x8 is out of the question :p.
    I really want to try the Thunderfunk, the Aggie, those Ashes and if anyone has any input those too :D. I'm seeing a trip to Bass Central brightly in the near future, so I'd like to get a few ideas bouncing around...thanks

Ray

Edit: I love my Acoustic and Peavey STACK OF DOOM, but when powered with the Acoustic head, it's wayyyyyyyyy too loud (even for a coliseum). So I'm looking to downsize over all (especially weight...those cabs come in at a combine 165lb, plus the 40 some odd lb head...). I'd love to get the 3101212, but I've no clue how expensive that will be...

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    bhb,
    if you do a search you'll find an ag500 vs thunderfunk thread which has comments/reviews comparing the two

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Good point :p. I even read some of that thread at one point... I guess I just gots to find a place to try these out first. Anyone else got any input?

Ray

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    What about Eden heads, should I try those out? (I tried a search, but there were A LOT of pages to sort through...). If so, which ones?

Ray