1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar AG500 Combo, Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    There is a pretty clean Aguilar AG500 combo at a pawnship in my area that I have played through a few times. It sounds pretty good, but I wonder if the fact that I know it is an expensive amp might be coloring my opinion of it. I know this is an older model that I don't think is made any more. I saw a review of it in Bass Player from 2005 that is over all positive but not glowing.

The bottom line is that I want to hear from people who have played it to know whether or not it worth getting for around $800.

2. scd

scd

Feb 12, 2008
    Roanoke, VA
    I picked up an AG 500-212C in 2006.The overall quality, tonal range and power are impressive. Love the overdrive sound (dialed in light, just a nice grind) :smug: on the second channel! I don't gig this amp, however I do jam with it, and it sits in the mix very nicely in a trio. At that price, if it's in good condition, I don't see how you could go wrong. Hope it works out for you!

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The one I am looking at is a 1x12 with two tweeters and a horn. Thanks for the info. Is it solid state with a tube preamp?

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    The AG500 is full solid state.

5. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    No tubes in an AG500. The OD channel sounds great, and was slimmed down for the "Agro" pedal.

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Dang, I have sworn off layaways for gear, but this does sound like a great deal. I think it is fairly light too. We'll see. I was planning an Acoustic B200 next week since that is something I can comfortably afford to buy cash but the Aguilar is tempting.

7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    It's real good but 800 is too much, IMO, for a used 12" combo. You could get a brand new Carvin MB12 with an MB115 extension for 100 bucks less. Heck there are a lot of amps you could get for less, brand new.

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks! I needed that! I was planning on getting an Acoustic B200 next week for three bills new, with a warranty from GC. I now don't feel guilty for sticking to my budget.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Considering that just the head is $1,350 new and the GS112 is $549 new, $800 is a very good price for the combo. I just sold mine in my weight reduction program, but I keep having seller's remorse. It's a great-sounding combo, and if you add a GS112NT under it, the whole is more than the sum of its parts.

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    How loud is it, Munji?

11. wcmackin

wcmackin

Dec 29, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    +1 Munji that seems like a good price. I used this combo a great deal, and it always sounded good alone but ran out of steam at more extreme volume levels. Any cabinet (crappy to awesome) I added to the equation transformed it into a monster rig. It's not all that heavy, but is kinda awkward to carry whether alone or with help. IME a more substantial combo than most but really shines with an extension cab.