1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Aguilar AG500 fault - anyone seen it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoshatRWCMD, Jan 28, 2016.

1. JoshatRWCMD

JoshatRWCMD

Mar 19, 2012
    So I bought this head on eBay for £500, I also bought a matching (chocolate thunder looks gorgeous) DB212 (4 ohm) from the same guy. Cab sold as relatively unused, head sold as having been fairly well gigged.

The cab arrived first and sounded incredible plugged into my old Trace Elliott head. Then the head arrived and sounded great for the first ten seconds then: *click*, relay accompanied by silence, and after about 2 seconds once again: *click*, sound returns. This is a cycle it would repeat endlessly seemingly.

I sent it to MAC scientific, as recommended by another TB user. They had it 3 times, the first time they diagnosed a minor fault, tested it and sent it back. The other 2 times they could not make it fault after testing for weeks. Nonetheless the moment I get it home and plug it into my cab (which is measuring out at 4 ohms according to my multimeter) it resumes it's irritating 'protection circuit' engagement... :| Protecting me from the lusshhh bass more like.

Has anyone ever come across a problem like this before? and were you able to resolve it? I'm absolutely distraught as the seller has already payed for the repair and I just don't know what to do. :(

2. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    You need to try to find the source of the shutdown. Especially since the tech could not replicate. Try the following:

* Test to make sure you are using a good power source for the head.

* Turn the head on WITHOUT A LOAD (do not connect it to your DB cabinet). Since the AG is a SS head, you will be fine. You do not need a load. Does it shut down?

* Connect the AG to your DB cab with a DIFFERENT connector. (Make sure you are using a good speaker connector). Does it shutdown?

* Connect the AG to a different cab using a different connector. Does it shutdown?

3. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I loved my ag500 to death until it started acting funny. I didn't have the fault issue you're having. I brought it to an "authorized" repair place. They did some work and it was fine for 2nd weeks. They replaced the entire power amp section.
    Now it's got noticeable distortion in the preamp section, but it never does it when I bring it back in. I'm trying come through the DI as well as the speaker outs. The DI is clean if I send it PRE, but distorted on POST.
    I retired it. Someday when extra cash is floating I will send it to Aguilar in NY, but I've spent too much chasing the bugs already.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021