Aguilar AG500--good jazz rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DaveAceofBass, Sep 9, 2004.

1. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey there guys,
    I am considering buying an AG500 for a smaller rig. I am thinking I might sell some gear and redo my jazz rig. I've been using an Acoustic Image Contra, and I'm very happy with the tone for upright, but I'm not so crazy about it's electric bass tone. I was thinking I might sell my Aguilar GS115 (I really never use it) and the Contra and load up with an AG500 and an Acme Low B-1. I already have an Aguilar DB359, it sounds great, but a bit bulky for all the time use. I also have an Aguilar GS210, and use that alot, and sometimes I still use my old SWR Bigfoot 2 x 12. Any comments on how the Bigfoot compares with the GS212? The other option is to get an Acoustic Image Focus with the Low B-1, but I really like the Aguilar tone for electric, but I play upright too and want to have the flat response the AI has. Does anyone know if the AG500 can achieve that? Does anyone know if the AG500's 2nd channel can be left just about clean, with a tube-vibe? Lastly, anybody heard either a Raezer's Edge Bass 12 or an Accugroove Tri 112? GAS!!! When will it end? Lastly, what is your opinion on the best sounding envelope filter (maybe a Mu-Tron III)? I have an MXR M-188, it sounds great, but doesn't have a true bypass........
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you do go the Focus / B-1 route, why not just add an aggie DB924? the F/B-1 combo is like tonal velcro, and i'm sure the 924 will give you a nice dash of aguilar love.

as for the single B-1, its not gonna be enough for most modern settings. i highly suggest getting a pair. IMHO, a nicer option than the B-2, cause you still get that mondo low B action, but also the option of going super light with just one B-1.

also, do a search for the Tri112, and you should find the last mondo thread on it.
  3. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Check out the Euphonic Audio stuff. I have an iAmp 500 and it works great for both the porkchop and doghouse.
  4. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Maybe the Aggie 500 and the Aggie GS112.