1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar AG500 Mod idea.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blastjv, May 3, 2010.

1. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    OK, has anyone ever thought of, or hopefully even tried this:

What I am imagining is a simple way to turn this 2 channel amp into a 3 channel amp (sort of).

I would like to add a footswitch-selectable second saturation pot on the overdrive channel so that two levels of saturation could be selected from a foot switch.

Clean channel - operates normally in every way

Overdrive channel - with the footswitch in one position the level of saturation is determined by the position of the factory saturation pot, when the footswitch is in the other position, an alternate level of saturation is determined by selecting a second, newly installed pot which would function exactly as the original saturation pot did, you can just choose which one to use at any given time.

I would actually be willing to give up use of the mute function of the 2 button footswitch to streamline this further.

This doesn't really make it a 3 channel amp, but to my ears the overdrive channel sounded great on the same EQ settings I used with both minimum and maximum saturation settings.

Now, tell me all the reasons this can't be done..... ;)

-John

2. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    No idea if it can or can't be done, but you'd probably be better off buying the new agro pedal when it comes out.

3. This would completely kill the resale value of your amp. Just add a pedal.

Paul

4. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    That was my original plan (and I'm sure what I'd end up doing in the end)

...just riffin' here.......

-John

5. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    OK, this was dumb. Just thinking out loud. I really don't need 3 channels. I'm very happy with my AG500 with the addition of the Xotic Bass BB. VERY.

-John

6. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    The Xotic BB is great!!!! (as is the RC)

7. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    The website isn't real clear on the RC, is it basically a very high quality clean boost that can get dirty if need be? That might have worked for me, too, but I'm so happy with the BB I don't need to try it...I also have a Way Huge Pork Loin and Catalinbread SFT on the way to try...If I knew how well the BB was going to work I wouldn't have bothered with the others, though I know they're very well respected, too...

-JV