1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar AG500 or Mesa Walkabout. I just can't decide!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wateroftyne, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Hi all

I'm a long-time MESA Walkabout user, and I recently picked up an Aguilar AG500 just to try something new.

I've A/B'd them both, and tonally they're both different flavours of great. I think I could live quite happily with either for the music I play (rootsy rock, country, blues). The DI's are great.

But now I have a problem: one of them has to go, and I REALLY don't know which one. I mean REALLY.

I love the tubiness of the Walkabout, and I love the defined tightness of the AG500. The Walkabout is smaller and a bit lighter, and is loud enough, but the AG500 has more headroom.

I'm at the stage where I'm about to toss a coin, but I thought... let's ask the good people of Talkbass first.

All opinions welcome!

waggie.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    No way for anyone to make the decision for you. Why not keep both, and find some other way around whatever problem you think this is the answer to?

3. Try the Aguilar TH500 ;)

4. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Go with the Aguilar! More headroom/less maintenance. I am NOT a fan of babysitting tube amps. The Aguilar has big time grunt!

5. wellso74

wellso74 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Richmond, Virginia
    Walkabout!

6. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    that's a tough call! I had an AG500 for a bit, and it's one of my favorite solid-state amps for sure. But for the styles you're playing (and considering the cab you're using) I'd probably pick the Walkabout over the AG500.

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    C'mon, man! You can't outsource a decision like that! Not one that's so rooted in personal preference! :eyebrow:

Get real... :rolleyes:

MM

8. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Wot, as I recall, you are on your second Walkabout. You got rid of the first one, then ran through several other amps before coming back to it. I say stick with this one, you're just going to miss it again.

9. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I really don't think a tube amp has to be babysat, unless something's really wrong with it. At any rate, the Walkabout is not a tube amp, it just has two preamp tubes. And those babies can last a very long time. I've owned a Walkabout for six years, I've never had a single issue.

10. What this guy said.

11. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I say AG500. Besides headroom/power benefits it also has a better di where you are not stuck with post di only.

+1 on the TH500 :cool:

12. Cheers, all!

Greg - it is indeed my 2nd WA. Maybe that's telling me something

I'd love to hang on to them both, and I have for a month or so, but Mrs. WoT is starting to ask questions. I can't keep the charade up for much longer. :)

I do like the pre-DI functionality of the Aguilar, and it seems to be much more resistant to noise and interference.

I'm not really interested in the TH500 - all the B&O-based micros have disappointed me so far...

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    LOL! Walkabout's not a tube amp.

14. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    Have you tried the Markbass TTE 500 ? Sounds perfect with a P (not to mention J's and everything else I've tried through it). The DI is post only I believe but is ace.

15. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Am I the only person who prefers the AG500 to the TH?

The AG breaks up surprisingly nicely when the gain is cranked, while the TH NEVER sounds clean...and doesn't really sound tubey IMO... I like to be able to have a bit more flexibility from an amp.

16. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    TH pedal version sounds very clean to me... as long as the AGS is off.

17. husky123

husky123

Jul 6, 2006
    Leesburg, VA
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses and Bergantino Audio Systems
    Phew, IDK. My TH500 sounds tubey as all get out and I've had quite a few tube amps.

Bassist is right though. The TH pedal will take way more gain before breakup before the head will but the pedal is missing that magic "drive" knob.

18. My TH350 sounds "tubier" to me than any other hybrid (or SS) amp I've owned or played through.

I'm not the best person to be commenting on clean tones, as I always like having some grit and drive on tap.

19. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    It sounds gritty alright, but so can the AG500. And I mean the SC!

20. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Amateur. Take my advice for its resale value.
    I think you will be able to sell the Walkabout faster, and for more $$ than the Aggie...