Aguilar AG500 powerful enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Sep 18, 2005.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Ok, Just hurt myself pretty bad hauling my gear last night, need to downsize. I had a 160 pound Basson 410, and I downsized to a 70 lb Schroeder (oooh so much better), and now for the head:

Right now I have a Korg tuner, a BBE BMax T preamp, and a Crest LT 1000 power amp, all in a road ready case. I love the sound of this setup, and the Crest gives me 1300 watts at 4 ohms (cabinet rating) so I never even come close to clipping. However, it's all just too heavy.

I LOVED the AG500. I could scrap all of the above for the AG500 in a two space rack bag, but I'm VERY concerned it wont have enough power to get the Schroeder pumped enough to slice thru my guitarists' 5150 full stacks. I REEEAAALLLy need to be VEEEERRY loud, and with the current setup, I have plenty of breathing room, but at the moment, I'm popping Advil like candy for the pain in my back.

Who has any REAL WORLD experience with this head thru bigger / higher load cabinets?
  2. Though I lack concrete proof, I absolutely think it can get loud enough. I've used it outdoors running through a Mesa 210 and 115 and it got obscenely loud then.
  3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    If you can run it at 4ohms you'll be OK..I use mine with a berg 310 or by two aggie 112s and it shoulds great. Used it the other day at an outdoor concert on a big stage outside and had no problem being heard.
  4. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    why dont you just get 2 soft rack bags, one for your power amp, and one for your effects etc

this way it lightens the load, but you still can have all your power
  5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I couldn't get the AG500 to clip without inducing pain in everyone in the room, through an Aguilar GS410 4ohm. Into a 4 ohm load the thing has a lot of oomph.

I ended up with a QSC PLX 1602 (also rated 500w into 4 ohms per side), and one channel of the QSC is actually not quite as loud as the AG500 unless the clip lights are coming on (but of course then theres the other half of the amp). The AG500 has no clip indicator lights, so I suspect it was on the edge (but showed no signs of slowing down).
  6. My AG500 has a clip indicator light. It's right next to the master volume knob and glows orange.
  7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Though I just got my AG500 and have not gigged with it yet, it seems pretty f'ing loud thru my Aggie GS212 4 ohm. I think it has enough balls. I went from a 55 lbs head setup to this. It's OH so nice!
  8. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    My opinion is that, whatever the head wattage is, a 103dB SPL Schroeder "Large Box" 4x10 will at least send as many "balls" than the Basson 410 which is also 103dB SPL, supposingly we're talking about the right products.

Power compresssion being what it is, I believe the difference will be more in tone clarity than in power itself.

Wanna cut through the Recti-fighters ? Tweak the mids and lo-mids a bit up... ;)
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, the AG500 is a horrible amp. just horrible. i mean, why does Dave bother?

best to just send it to me, and let me take it off your hands... :smug: :p :bag:
  10. AG500 is stupid loud with 4 ohm GS410.
  11. Quadzilla

One on Ebay ending in less than 2 min at $670!!!

12. Quadzilla

Went up to $736 in the less few seconds. Well worth the price! I just got one used for a tad bit less but it was a killer deal and it's like new too...
  13. That's a stellar deal in both cases.
  14. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    The AG500 gets pretty loud - particularly if you're running it at 4 ohms. It's impossible to say whether anything is "loud enough" but it should cut it on most gigs.
  15. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    anybody ever A/B the AG500 with another head rated at higher wattage?

for example, anybody ever A/B'ed the AG500 with a GK 1001RB-II, or other 700 watt+ head?

Jorg Schroeder thinks the 500 has more guts than the GK.......
  16. Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    I only use this head for playing out. I use my bass 350 for practice. This is the first head I've owned that made me understand "headroom". I've never used a seperate pre/pwr set up and although I'd like to hear the results, I'm just getting too old/lazy to want to carry all that. AG500SC at 4 ohms is loud enough for my use in a 4 piece classic pop/rock group. I've never had to turn up past 10 o'clock on the master and even outdoors I had plent of power.

17. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I recently played a gig using the my ag500 and and a GK1001rb thru an eden 112xlt and an aguilar GS112 (thanks NJL :) ).

I started using the GK1001rb and it sounded good. ActuallyI was very impressed. I can honestly say that they are about the same volume. No obvious winner... Still VERY LOUD