Aguilar AG500 SC+EA CXL 112 (little review)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pedroferreira, Sep 2, 2005.

1. pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    I’ve got a chance to play an Aguilar AG500 Single Channel with my cab (EA CXL 112) and with two Aguilar cabs.

Let me tell you what a great amp this is. :bassist:

The sound is terrific. I can get any sound that I want with the touch of a button.
    With all the EQ flat it seems a flat amp and not colored(at least I get the same sound with my Raven Labs pre with Qsc power amp with all controls flat); but when I start messing with the EQ knobs… :hyper: I can’t describe it. It’s great.

The amp is very sensitive and very dynamic if you know what I mean. I’ve read (in a review) that it had “quick response with plenty of headroom”. That was my impression too.

I’ve tried with a GS 112 and a GS 212. Very warm, but I was expecting a cab more scooped (because of the reviews I read here); but no, it was very natural and pleasing.

With my CXL (comparing with the Aguilar cabs) I get a more aggressive sound (there are more high mids). I would call it almost “nasal” but in a good way. That’s why it cuts so well in the mix. But if you don’t like that flat sound of it that’s why there are the Eq knobs 

In terms of SPL the EA blows the Aguilar. :eek: It was way louder than the GS112 and even the GS212. With the EA and GS112 connected in parallel, I couldn’t hear the GS. :confused:

I think that I can play in a band context with the AG and the EA. Despite (on paper) it says it delivers 250W @ 8 ohm, the power I get from this combination is sufficient to play with a band.

My friend (who owns the AG) let me take it home to try. :hyper: I’ll see if I can take it to a gig or rehearsal and I’ll give you an update.

Now I can’t give the amp back to its owner because I’m enjoying it so much.

I have to save money to make a purchase… :bawl:

(Sorry for my English) :help:

Take care

2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Your english is very good. :hyper:
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    good stuff, pedro...

the aggie head is a great piece of gear that mates with most any cab. :cool:
  4. pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003

I have a question for you:

What do you think of the sound of the aguilar amps through the EA Cxl-112 as opposed to the other cabs you’ve tried?

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    When I tried the AG500, I was left with the impression that it was a pretty revealing head (meaning that it let the characteristics of the rest of the gear in the signal chain shine through), with a nice amount of its own mojo (meaning that it seemed slightly colored in a good way). The CxL-112 is also a very revealing cab, and has top notch clarity, so if you like the sound of your bass (and technique!), then you should like what you hear with this combo. It should be very clear, articulate, and yes, revealing. This combination could be a tad thin across the low mids, though, with everything set flat, but the CxL-112 responds very well to EQ.

Hope this helps, Tom.
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    like the Bowlus said, the EA cab is very revealing. but also, the aggie head sound KILLER thru a pair of GS112's.

but FYI, i'm a stickler for similar brand head/cab combos.