1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar AG500 + Schroeder 1212?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mandril, May 15, 2006.

1. Mandril

Mandril

May 10, 2006
    Madrid
    Hi again! I'm almost decided to buy a Aggie AG500, and I've read very good comments about Schroeder cabinets, but it's very difficult, if not impossible, to find it here in Spain. I've talked to a couple of guys who own one (1212 both), and they love it. They bought it directly to Jorg because there are no dealers in Spain. They both live quite far from me, so I can't go to try them out...
    So, is AG500 and a 1212 a good combination???

P.D. Excuse me for my english, I think I haven't said everything in the right way... :meh:

2. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I have NO experience with Schroder cabs, but I own an AG500 and two Aguilar GS112 cabs. So far, I have NO complaints about my AG500, it has loads of power and sounds great with minimal adjustments. I couldn't imagine the AG500 sounding "bad" with anything...

3. jablues

jablues

Oct 17, 2005
    Seville, Spain.
    Que pasa mandril, de verdad eres de Madrid?? :eyebrow:
    Si quieres Schroeder cabs, tienen distribución en Italia (mira la web de Schroeder) creo que se llama Woodandtronics y el dueño es un tío de puta madre (Enrico) que te ayudará a decidirte (también es distribuidor de Epifani), los portes no son muy caros, yo estoy esperando una Schroeder 310212. Espero que esto te sirva de ayuda.

I´m sorry mates but I found a guy from Spain and I´ve been practicing my Spanish. :D

J.

4. Mandril

Mandril

May 10, 2006
    Madrid
    Ok, let's give it another try...

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I heard that combination briefly at Vic's a while back. It sounded good... plenty loud.

However, the medium sized Schroeder's (1212 and 1210) are quite prominent in the mid-range, and the Ag500 seems to be voiced that way also... very warm and almost 'tube sounding' in the mids.

If you are a fingerstyle player and like plenty of punch and growl, I think it would sound great. However, if you are looking for a clean, quick and more 'transistor amp snap' sound, I'd recommend one of the big GK heads or a Thunderfunk.... or the Ag500 with a more traditionally voiced cab.

6. Mandril

Mandril

May 10, 2006
    Madrid
    Yes, I'm a fingerstyle player (and slapper also) and I play rock. What I liked of the Schroeder cabs is that "cut-through-the-mix" stuff that I've heard everybody talking about. Both guitarists in my band have pretty big amps, and I can hardly hear myself! So I thought this would be a nice cab... And what about a 21012? Would it be more clean or traditional? Or which cab do you recommend me?

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Hello! First, I see you live in Madrid. That's one of my wife and my favorite cities! We have visited a couple of times and are planning a return sometime in the next couple of years.

The medium Schroeder's really do cut, and the 1212R is a really nice cab. The 21012 (I have the light version) REALLY puts out some low end. It sounds very different than the 1212, but is also almost twice the size.... physics again. Both the 410 and 21012 are very efficient (they get really loud with 500 watts or so put into them). The regular versions of those cabs are quite heavy.

It's hard to recommend a cab 'long distance', since the head, bass, playing style, etc. really can interact, and I only have limited experience with the AG500. Here's some general info from my experience, talking with Jorg, and reading other threads:

1212R (I owned one and played quite a few gigs with it).... very loud for its size, plenty of 'low mid punch', plenty loud for almost any situation, significant low end for a cab so small

1210R (owned one also)... much more mid punchy.... wonderful for moderate volume fingerstyle playing, again lot's of low end considering its size, but will not project the lows like the 1212.

21012(L)... I currently own one... MUCH wider sounding than the smaller Schroeders.... more traditionally voiced... LOTS of low end.... sounds like a 115/210 stack

410(L).... I have not had the pleasure of playing one, but Jorg describes the sound as 'quicker and tighter in the lows' versus the 21012L.... which makes sense.

If you are playing at very loud volumes, I would suggest one of the larger 'light' cabs if you can afford them. My guess is, from your 'Flea and Jaco' influences on your profile that the 410L with the 'super tweeter' versus the selenium (which is very sizzly and bright) might really do the trick.

Good luck, and hopefully other TBers will respond with their ideas and suggestions.

Ken

8. Mandril

Mandril

May 10, 2006
    Madrid
    Hi! Thanks for the advice. I don't think I can afford a 21012 (I don't like 410s too much, though I think this is not an usual 410...), but now that you have mentioned it, I'm sure GAS will do his thing... jeje!
    And what about non-Schroeder cabs? Any of you have a recommendation about a 2x12 cab or something similar to marry my AG500???

P.D.: Ken, Madrid is a great city, I'm glad that you like it. Have you ever been in Barcelona? Or Granada or Sevilla? Because if you're coming to Spain, there a lot of beautiful cities to visit... (that I like more than Madrid...)

Marcos

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Yes, we've been to Granada and Sevilla, Ronda, etc. Our next trip, we will head to Barcelona... we've never been there.

I'll let other's more familiar with the AG500 recommend cabs for you. I know Aguilar has a new line of reasonably priced cabs out at the moment, and that might be a good fit.

Don't totally cross the 1212R off the list though.... it's a loud, punchy little thing!

Good luck.

K

10. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Hi, im assuming you havent got the AG500 yet, if you have then this wont be any help
    I have a MarkBass SA450+1210 and its a very good combination. ive not tried any of the Aggie gear apart from a GS210 cab but i love the MarkBass sound. its very clean and solid sounding and I and most people who use them run them almost flat EQ wise. it will give you 500watts at 4ohms so is quite loud and i believe quite a bit cheaper than the AG500. we play a few rock songs in my covers band and it can really cut through and can sound slightly dirty if you need it but always warm.
    I would say if you can its worth checking the MB amps out.
    I do wish i had got a 1212 sometimes for the extra bit of low end it has over the 1210 but the 1210 can sure cut through. I first used it with my ABM that at the time was going in to a MAG combo just used as a speaker. what a difference the 1210 made. at the same amp volume i was a lot louder and the whole band could hear me on stage for the first time and for the first time i could actualy hear the low E on my Jazz growl like it should.

11. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I've never heard the Schroeder cabs, but I don't know why that wouldn't sound great.

If you're looking for a kick@ss, lightweight, powerful head, it doesn't get a whole heck of a lot better as tone is subjective.
    I owned the AG500 for about a year and ran it through an Aguilar GS212. It sounded great. Loud, tons of low end rumble, "glassy- that's what I hear it called around here alot;) " highs. That cab is a bit mid-shy, but the AG500 is very mid-friendly... so they go together rather nicely.

I ended up getting a Bergantino NV425 and although the AG500 did a fine job powering it, I just had the hunger for an all tube head for the Berg. Traded the Aggie for a Mesa 400+.

I'd have loved to have kept the AG500 as well, but "I don't have it like that":meh:

If you're looking to 'cut through', I think you're on the right track.

12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

That was my only concern with the AG500/Schroeder 1212R combination..... I also hear the AG500 as 'mid friendly' and the 1212 is similarly 'mid friendly' (versus the Ag112, as you stated). That could sound GREAT depending on the sound you want... or it could get a little 'nasally' for some IMO.

13. Mandril

Mandril

May 10, 2006
    Madrid
    The truth is that I tried the AG500 in the store with a GS212 and a GS410, and I loved the sound of the 212. The only thing is that is about the same price than the Schroeder 1212, so having double wattage (not useful for the Aggie, but who knows what future GAS will bring???) and having heard nice things about this cab, made me thought in buying the 1212. Now I think I should give GS1212 another try...

Ken, Barcelona is really beautiful, I like it more than Madrid (we don't have sea here...), and Cataluña is a very nice place! I think you should go to Gerona also, but everywhere you go, you'll love it :D

14. I borrowed an AG 500 and an Aguilar S410 or S410 / S210 stack several times for gigs last year. The S series cabs are stronger in the mids than the GS series. I thought the S series cabs and the AG 500 matched very well; however, I play only finger style and I am 60 years old and no longer play in extremely loud bands. I have not gigged with a GS212. I have played that cab with an AG500 in a store and I really liked the sound. Good luck to you and wish me luck. I have a final exam for a Spanish / English translation class tonight.

15. Mandril

Mandril

May 10, 2006
    Madrid
    Pues mucha suerte Aaron! Y espero que algún día vengas a España, que es un país muy bonito y seguro te encantará!

Sorry guys, I had to wish Aaron luck with his Spanish exam, and I had to do it in spanish!

16. Gracias, Mandril. Me encanta la historia medieval de España y me gustaría visitarla algún día.

17. Mandril

Mandril

May 10, 2006
    Madrid
    Any advice about a non-Schroeder cab to match the Ag500??? Which cabs do you have, Aggie boys?

off-topic: what about your spanish exam, Aaron? Did it go right?

18. I have only played the AG500 with the S210, S410 for gigs and the GS212 in the store. I liked them all, but the S series cabs were discontinued a few months ago. You may still find some in Europe. The S series emphasizes the mid-range frequencies more than the GS series. I thought that the GS 212 was creamy, smooth, mellow and deep while still sounding articulate and well defined. I did not think it was muddy. I did not like the tweeter very much and I turned it down. If I were buying an AG 500 today I would seriously consider the GS212 cab. In fact I am considering a GS212 or maybe two or three GS112s to go with my new Genz Benz 600 amp.

I have not heard the Schroeder 1212, but the description of the tweeter sounds like it is smoother than the Aguilar tweeters. I really like Ken Jung's reviews of amps and cabs, but I also trust SMASH. SMASH has played the Schroeder 1212 and AG500, whereas Ken has not. So my guess would be that I would probably also like the Schroeder 1212 with the AG500.

Thanks for your good wishes, Mandril. I think I probably got an A in the course. That is equivalent to a 9 or 10 in a European grading system. I will know next week.

19. Can I be an Aggie boy? I've used my AG 500 with a pair of GS112s. . . attachment.

as well as a 4ohm S410
    attachment.

The AG500/S410 is currently my "big rig," and I bring the AG500 with a single GS112 to pickup gigs and jam sessions. To my ears the S410 has more definition than the 2xGS112s, and it cuts through a loud mix better. The S410 isn't as warm or full in the low end as the GS112s, but it puts out plenty of bass for my purposes, even without engaging the AG500's DEEP switch.

Attached Files:

20. Mandril

Mandril

May 10, 2006
    Madrid
    Thanks for the audio and video, Smash. Sounds great!
    Tightbidness, why do you use 2 GS112 instead of a 212? Wouldn't sound better using a single 212 at 500w (4 ohms) than 2 112 running at 8 ohms, buy giving 250 w???