Aguilar AG500sc - mids and output question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr. Pickles, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Aguilar DB212 4 ohm

15.4%
  2. 2 X Aguilar DB112 at 8 ohms each

50.0%
  3. Aguilar DB410 4 ohm

15.4%
  4. Other brands?

9.6%
  5. Sushi

9.6%
  1. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    I have an opportunity to pick up a second-hand AG500sc in great shape for less than half the selling price of a new one.

For my current gigs, I play in a pop-rock band and my guitarist plays a Marshall half-stack at appropriate volume.
    The drummer has a light touch and we have a female vocalist.

I also have a project studio, in which I produce and play for a variety of artists- mostly acoustic folk and electronica/hip hop. I also hope to start a post rock/experimental band and I have a decent collection of crazy effects that I will be using live.

Two of my basses are ERB's.

I've read extensively about the AG here on TB and I have two concerns based on what I've learned:

1. Relatively low output (500 watts into 4ohms)

2. Mushy, unfocused mids, with limited control.

If I pull the trigger, I will be purchasing a new 4 ohm DB212 to pair with it.

My tone goals are to have a full, warm, and round supportive tone, but sometimes I will step out for effects weirdness and solos. I'm definitely aiming for something in the rock-n-roll vein. That being said, I'd like a little high-fi clarity on occasion as warranted.

Does anyone have excperience with pairing the AG with the DB cabs? I'm thinking that the DB cabs will compliment the AG and firm up the mid-range.

Will 500 watts be less than ideal for my situation?

Thoughts?:help:

Thanks in advance,
    Mr. Pickles

2. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Huh? Mushy and unfocused is as far from how I'd describe the AG500 as possible. It is an awesome little solid state head. I also found it to be LOUD through an efficient 4 ohm cab.

I'd personally go for the GS212 with it, but that is just taste.

3. Mr. Pickles

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Thanks, pickles. Are we related?:D

Can you tell me why you'd choose that cab? I'm open to the GS cabs!

4. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    +1 The GS212 is a perfect cab to go w/ it. The ag500SC is full, round, warm and has that woody punch. Great head

5. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I just love the GS212 and 412. They're my all time favorite bass cabs. They just have a great warm, full, fat tone that sits great in the mix, and they get a nice sizzle when you dig in. Just a very satisfying sound for me. The DB410 I had I didn't dig. It was kind of congested sounding.

6. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    I'd check out the Genz Benz NEOX112 cabs.
    Or the NEOX212.

But out of your choices (I picked "Other") I would say the DB112's.

7. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
  8. I also voted 2 x DB112's. That's a pretty nice matchup with the AG500. The DB112's seem to be more balanced than some of the other cabs in the DB line, which I have heard described as thin down low and a little to mid forward. The DB112's sound like the GS112's with the mids puched up a bit, which IMO is a good thing with the 'more fat than punchy' AG500.

The best match-up I personally have heard with the AG500 is the Bergantino HS line of cabs. Beautiful punch, plenty of oomph down low, warm, fat...everything:bassist:

9. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    Bergantino HS410. Perfect match!

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    the gs212 is a great cab. at the collective, they have a few of the ag500sc / gs212 combo cabs, and everyone's always fighting to grab one first, or else be stuck w/ a 10" kickback combo.

as for "mushy", no idea where that applies to the ag500, unless you apply pressure to a banana underneath the unit. its easily one of the easier amps to get good sounds. together w/ the GS212, turn back the upper mid knob, add some lows knob, and its scary how easy to dial up a fat and warm sound that's as supportive as bass sounds get. you say "full, warm, round, & supportive", i say "GS212 now".

portability, get the GS112 stack. want something that looks substantial next to the marshall half stack, get the GS212.

and the DB series do nothing for me. really thick in the middle mids for that ballpeen hammer like attack. the only adjective that comes to mind is "annoying". course, in an uber loud metal mix, a pair of db410 would probably put a hole in your wall.

11. Mr. Pickles

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    The AG500sc has been purchased for a song:hyper:

12. Congrats man. If I didn't already have 4 amps I would have bought that. :D

13. Mr. Pickles

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Thanks for the suggestions and advice so far. Higgie has a similar thread over at:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510280

Check it out if you'd like to offer him some cab suggestions as well.

Are the GS210s and GS 115s out of production?

Anyone try out the DB210 and DB115 with the AG500? I think this would be a killer setup, but it might be out of my price range, and bad for my back.

14. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I read this thread before posting mine, I just required a bit of a different answer. Good contribution guys :)

And thanks for the polite link inclusion Mr Pickles!!

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    those two factors alone should put them out of the running.

16. Mr. Pickles

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Sadly, yes.:bawl:

17. ovialexm

ovialexm

Jun 5, 2006
    Don't understand this. Can you explain please?
    I am on the way to buy this combination (DB210 and DB115) and AG500SC.
    Thanks!

18. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    You should PM FranDiaz, he has been using the AG500SC db112/db112nt combination for a long time

19. ovialexm

ovialexm

Jun 5, 2006
    I am not interested in DB112.
    I just did not understand this:
    "those two factors alone should put them out of the running."

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    [record player on repeat]

bad for the back, and he didnt have the money.

[record player off repeat]

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021