Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar AG500SC??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SoyBase, Dec 14, 2004.

1. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I just saw this on their site, but there is no info. Whats the difference in this and the AG500? Did a search and couldn't find specifics.

Anyone know?

Thanks
    Tommy

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'd wager the SC stands for "single channel".

The distortion channel on the AG500 was a bust for me.

3. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    That's right... No distortion...go buy you a Fulltone pedal. Not the AG4500SC, there's no "4" in the model #. It's the AG500SC. I'm getting one soon.... :hyper:

4. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Oops..i just saw that typo in my post title...

I'm going to try one with the distortion and see if its to my liking. If not, I'll use the old bassdrive and call it a day..

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    IMO, the od on the AG500 is great. I know one person posted they didn't like it, but I've spent a lot of time / money on od/dist pedals in the past and I rate it up there with the best of them. My favorite od pedals are the bassdrive, fulltone deep fryer and voodoo labs sparkle drive.
    On the other hand, I definitely see that the second od/dist channel isn't for everyone so the single channel version should be popular. Either way, it's a great sounding amp.
    I'm selling my AG500, but only because I need more headroom. I'd intended to get a 4ohm cab, but ended up getting the EA NL-210 which is 8ohms so I can only get 250-300W out of the AG500.

6. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Hey David,

I saw your AG500 for sale and if I could sell my DB750 quickly, I'd be buying yours in a heartbeat..

As far as overdrive, I've been using an ODB-3 for years and it works perfectly for my needs. I've been looking at the BassDrive, but this may be the full package for me.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    :eek: why would ya sell a db750 for an ag500??? :eek:

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    19lbs vs 43
    2 rack spaces vs 3

obviously, you don't get the exact same tubey tone... but it's a great amp.

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    all very true. i liked the 500 quite a bit. however, the 750 is loud as heck and sounds great. i don't need a head but if i did the 750 would be near the top of a very short list.

10. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    You are correct, sir! My rack with everything weighs in way too high. To keep it somewhat tolerable, its a 2 man operation. Carrying a 6-space rack without an extra set of hands is a nightmare.

I'm going to sacrifice a little tone, but i have an old RT-901 Blue Tube that I can use to fatten things up a bit.

11. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    off topic> Well... concerning the weight, the bandmembers will help you don't they?

I played a 500 in a shop and the tone is awesome for a fulltransistor head. Close your eyes and you even would say there's a tube in it. :)

12. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Anything new in the AG500 appart from lacking the overdrive ch.?
    is there a pic somewhere?

I've got a AG500 and have no use for the overdrive, but if the SC doesn't offer anythingelse it's not worthwhile to sell it to buy the SC

keep groooovin'
    Fran

13. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Nope

14. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Hint for Dave/Aguilar: I love the tones I can get from the od. ch. using the passive eq and the contour and presence knobs, but only at low input volumes, where the overdrive is not noticiable, what about another version of the two channel where the overdrive knob is replaced by an input knob? that would make the AG500 a two channel amp with modern/vintage clean channels.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

15. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    ...or fingerstyle/slap channels... or front pickup/back pickup channels... or instrument 1/instrument 2 channels... or normal/lead channels.

I'm still amazed (frustrated?) that the vast majority of bass amps are single-channel. Pedals/effects can only do so much...

16. Picture and details are now up on the aguilar site. http://www.aguilaramp.com/html/products/ag500s.htm
    Still no retail price.

17. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Well, saw the AG500SC pics. I've talked to my Aguilar contacts. Can't remember exact prices, but list is around $1300 or so (can't remember exactly), street is around $1000. Available through select dealers.... Email me... I'll hook it up....

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    FYI,

this is exactly how the new Epifani head was designed as.

but i digress, cause the other night i stopped by my local GC, and tried the AG500 1x12 combo, and YOWZA!!! fun fun fun little combo. fat, inyourface, rich sound you'd expect from the aggie line. not "sucked in" muddiness here. the EQ really let you find something that kicks you right there.

made the Geddy Lee sound great. :bassist:

19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not to go highjacking the thread, but I just saw the price on those Epifani heads. $1800 for a 400 watt amp? That 502 looks good, but is it that good???? I'm sure the Aguilar single channel amp will be a welcomed addition to the line. It also looks to be a bit overpriced to me but oh well. Nice amp I'm sure.

20. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Coincidence...that was my experience: Fender Geddy Lee thru an AG500 combo at Guitar Center a couple weeks ago. Were you lurking in the shadows somewhere?... :ninja:

I was impressed by the AG500 combo's main channel, but (like many) wasn't nuts about the distortion channel.

The Epi amps seem great on paper... if a little pricey for me... :bawl: