1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar AGRO Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NKUSigEp, Jul 27, 2007.

1. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Just got to thinking, if this thing lives up to the hype...what's that gonna be like driving one side of my Mackie 1400i and my DB659 driving the other side and then feeding them out to my Aguilar GS212 and S210 cabinets?

I'm thinking sonic euphoria, perhaps? Anyways, when are these expected to be on the market? I saw a post on the Dude Pit that said they're listed at $449 so that puts retail somewhere in the upper $300's, right?

[​IMG]

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's not a preamp at all, it's a distortion effect in a rackmountable box. But you can Y out of your preamp and send one leg to the AGRO and the other leg to your clean amp channel.

Edit: whoops, I'm wrong.

3. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Straight from the Aguilar site:

"...or as a preamp that will drive a power amp and send line output to the house mix simultaneously."

So I'm calling it a preamp. Still sweet looking and I'm hoping its sound matches its looks.

4. Cory

Cory

May 16, 2004
    TEXAS
    I'm really looking forward to getting one of these to try out! I can hardly wait!

5. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
  6. Cory

Cory

May 16, 2004
    TEXAS
    I would think this Agro with a tube amp would sound real nice!

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Are there tubes in it?
    Wierd that presence and treble are at the same 4khz point...

I'm not sure I see the point in this when used DB659's are damn near the same price as list for a new one of these...

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i dunno,

i'm still a little miffed there's no stompbox version. :rolleyes:

but why not make a half rack 659, too? heck, why not make a dual channel 659/AGRO 2 unit preamp?!

all in favor say "I". I!!!!!

9. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    eye, me matie....aaarrrgghhh...........

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I'll just stick with my 680, thx....

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    The point is that the AGRO has some *serious* grit. I'm not alone in it being my favorite bass distortion.

I ordered mine for $329 at Bass Club Chicago. I've had a deposit on it since January. :bawl: I think we're looking at them shipping sometime next month...I won't hold my breath but the fact that it finally made it on the website eases my worries. Ah well, it'll be worth it. Running the AGRO into the power section of the 750 is going to be off the chain.

Now what they need to make is a little pedal / desktop sized DB659 in a box with DI and headphone out and an aux in. :D

12. Cory

Cory

May 16, 2004
    TEXAS
    I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    A 659 and an AGRO in one rack space would be killah!

The company response about why they chose a "2/3 rack width" unit for the AGRO is that they didn't want to incur more cost designing a new circuitboard, so they're using the same board that's in the AG500. On a petty home-brew scale I can understand that, but at the prices their gear goes for, and as successful a company as they are, I think they could have invested a little coin into a new circuitboard that would fit into a half rack or a large pedal. As it is, I think most potential customers are going to avoid dedicating a whole rack space just to a distortion channel, unless the AGRO voicing is the only voicing they need.

14. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Ay!

And it's all about options. Not price! LOL

15. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Taking up a full rack space is a bummer, but for $330 getting the unit, power supply, rack ears, and the footswitch isn't sooooo bad.

It'd be nice to be able to have it take up half a rack with a wireless unit on the other side, but I'll probably do the X2 pedal size wireless anyways. :]

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    +1

17. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    If it's going to street at $329, it'll probably end up being used with a lot of solid state mini heads - ones that are so small there's not a whole lot to be gained in racking them. I mean, what's this thing going to weigh, 3 lbs? Why bother with a dedicated rack for such small gear? I'd rather put these small widgets in a padded gig bag, easier to haul around.

OTOH, if you've got this, a wireless and an amp it would be convenient to have the whole mess racked.

18. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    Endorsments: Aguilar, Hartke, DR strings, Analysis Plus "Oval" Cables
    is this out? is it the next sansamp rbi killer?

19. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    i dunno...looks pretty cool...chances are, if you're someone that's potentially going to buy this, you have space in your rack for one :D this with a 659 would have to be pretty sweet, especially with something like a yamaha attitude...a preamp for each out ;)

20. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Too bad the db750 didn't already have a bit more grit to it at it's price point. Maybe their next model (db850?) with include this in the preamp:hyper:
    I have a wireless and a compressor, both half rackers, but they won't fit side by side in either of their proprietary half racks without serious modifications. Plus, a half rack unit in place with a full rack power amp makes getting to the jacks for plugging stuff in difficult cuz it's recessed . Just some thoughts.