Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar all over the place at NAMM 2006

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by millard, Jan 22, 2006.

1. millard

millard

Jul 27, 2004
    SoCal
    As I wandered the floor, it seemed that many folks who had a choice about what to bring to show off their basses or bass-oriented gear were sending it to an Aguilar box of some sort. I didn't do a scientific count or anything, just a pattern that started to emerge as I walked the hall.

I may have to get me some of that to try out. I wonder if Aguilar offered the gear to them? That I didn't (and should have) asked.

Millard

2. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Thats usally the case. for some reason luthiers use aguilar. I did see more euphonic audios this time around though along with lelands cool beard.

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Manufacturers will often times offer gear to luthiers for their booth. Sometimes it is a matter of taste but most often their is some political reason for having a certain brand in the booth.

Same thing with different basses in amp manufacturer's booths

Mike

4. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification

While we are friends with many people in the industry, none of them would jeopardize sounding good at a NAMM show for the sake of that friendship or politics. There is far too much at stake.

Dave Boonshoft

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Dave,
    Was not necessarily talking about you, just a matter of course that has been noted for many years with many manufacturers. I have purposely not named manufacturers. If, somehow, you thought I was talking specifically about Aguilar, that is not the case and I apologize. But you would have to agree that there are many politically based placements on the NAMM floor

Mike

6. Aguilar/Dave B.

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    Thank you for apologizing. Since the thread was about Aguilar, your comments would seem to include us. I have found the opposite of what you are saying to be true among the small companies. I don't know of a single luthier who would put an amp in his booth at NAMM if he didn't believe it would be the best compliment for his instruments. There simply are no political benefits to be traded.

Dave Boonshoft

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'm still wondering what's been lost "in" the beard. :p

and a shame that a bass maker cant have more than just one brand of amp in their booth. :(

have both their cake and eat it, too? guess not.

8. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I would agree. If I'm testing a bass, I would like to hear in through different set ups. If anything, it speaks to the versatility of the bass and shows its different colours. Good idea.

To suggest that a luthier picks an amp that best compliments his gear is a cheap shot.

9. Aguilar/Dave B.

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    In fact, some luthiers do have more than one amp for just the reason that you state. Don't you think it's logical that if they pick only one amp for the booth, it's going to be one that they like?
    My point is there is nothing to be gained at a NAMM show other than sounding as good as you think you can.

10. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I'm sure that most luthiers have experimented with every type of amplification out there. And if they haven't, their customers certainly have. So I'll bet they use what gives them the best sound. :smug: ;)

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Thanks Dave. I haven't had the pleasure of attending NAMM. The advent of internet, websites like this, must put incredible pressure on manufacturers to sieze every opportunity to have someone, anyone try their gear. Regretably, I haven't had the pleasure of trying yours or Mikes amps. As I grow old, small, light, powerful grows in appeal, which you both have responded to quite well as evidenced by their popularity.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Multiple amps and cabs would be the best way to go. It only makes sense. Unless, there was some kind of back door deal to have a certain brand only. I can totally see that happening. It's not like we are talking about low quality cheesy gear in the booths....Aguilar, EA, etc.

-Mike

13. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland

What...no Behringer!

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    This was NAMM, not Wal-Mart. :eek: :p

-Mike

15. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If I were showing off a bass at a trade show, I'd want an amp that I like and works well with my bass, but also one that people are pretty familiar with. Both so it sounds like they expect a bass amp to sound, and so that they don't dismiss the test with "I wonder what it'd sound like through a normal amp".

16. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    LMAO

17. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I don't really think companies like EA/Aguilar/etc. are big enough businesses to be "lending" amps to booths all over NAMM, just to get their name out there. Your Ampegs and Hartkes have inventory to spare, but somehow I doubt Dave has two dozen DB750's to deal out across the occassion.

18. Aguilar/Dave B.

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City

We're glad to loan amps to companies that ask for them.
    It is good business to get your products seen at NAMM. This year we did have to stop after sixteen because we ran out of stock. We're honored that so many great companies wanted to play through our amps.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I need to hurry up and create MJ5150 Incorporated. :D

Thanks for hanging around TB Dave, and dropping some knowledge on us now and then. You too Mike. The insider info we get from you guys is just awesome.

-Mike

20. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    I believe it. I have become a 100% Aguilar devotee over the past year. I can't wait to gut the remaining non-Aggie parts of my rig and replace them, but god I just wish they still made that DB728. :(

Why was that discontinuted by the way? Too hard to offer a 10 year warranty on that beast?