Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar, Ampeg, Bag End cabinet advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tightbidness, Sep 29, 2004.

1. After searching for a small, lightweight amplifier for about six months, I recently purchased an Ampeg B2R head. My combo is a B-100R, which I love, and the B2R has a similar sound to my ears. At the moment however my only cab is an Aguilar GS112. The Aggie works relatively well with my GK800RB, but it sounds boomy and mid-shy with the B2R. The pillow-y bass of the Aggy is cool, but to my ears mids are crucial to cutting through the mix and getting a coherent sound. My ideal sound is a cross between Paul Jackson and Family Man.

The B2R sounds great through Ampeg cabs - especially the SVT-410HLF. But a 410 is too cumbersome for my situation. So now I'm trying to decide if I should:

1.) Trade the Aggy for an Ampeg 210 and maybe add a 115 in the future. I did some searches but didn't come up with much on the SVT-210.

2.) Keep the Aggie and add a 210 (or something else?). My concern is that the GS112 will overpower whatever I couple it with. Also, it may be difficult for me to demo a bunch of cabs with my existing rig.

3.) Get a Bag End S15-D. It sounds like it's right up my alley but I've been unable to find one to play through locally.

Maybe there are other options I've overlooked? Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well i happen to have a bag end 15 and an aggie 112
    you can check out my reviews on tb if ya want
    here's the deal
    the bag end 15 will be a bit louder than the aggie 112. The BE has more midrange and not quite as much lows as the aggie. Actually the 2 cabinets sound pretty good together.
    Besides, i would never not tell someone not to get a bag end 15

3. Thanks, IvanMike. I've been following the Bag End S15-D thread and just read your review. Looks like I'm going to have to get my hands on one.