1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar Amplification and La Bella Strings Announce a Clinic with Bassist Jamaaladeen Tacuma

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Mar 23, 2016.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    NEW YORK, NY — Aguilar Amplification, maker of high-quality bass amplification, pickups, preamps and effects pedals for bassists and La Bella Strings are pleased to announce a clinic with bassist Jamaaladeen Tacuma.

With his funk-driven approach to modern Jazz and bold improvisational sense, Tacuma is widely recognized as a completely original voice in the bass community. His rise to prominence began with his landmark recordings with Ornette Coleman as part of the legendary saxophonists’ Prime Time band. In addition to his outstanding work with Coleman, Tacuma has released numerous albums as a bandleader while also performing with Carlos Santana, Jeff Beck and James Blood Ulmer.

Known for his mastery of Ornette Coleman’s ‘Harmolodic’ music concepts and advanced approach to improvisation, Tacuma looks to share his experiences and long-term musical and human adventures with all who attend. To help demonstrate the concepts discussed, Tacuma will be joined by guitarist David Gilmore (Wayne Shorter, Randy Brecker, Boz Scaggs) and drummer Warren Benbow Jr. (Nina Simone, Olu Dara, Whitney Houston).

The event will be held at the Aguilar Artist Loft in NYC on Thursday, April 14th, 2016 at 7pm. This clinic is free to attend but seating is limited! To register please RSVP to:info@aguilaramp.com

All attendees will be eligible to win prizes from Aguilar and La Bella Strings!

Jamaaladeen Tacuma Clinic
    Aguilar Artist Loft - Chelsea
    Thursday April 14th, 2016
    148 W 24th Street, 5th Fl.
    NYC, NY 10011
    Doors open at 6:30, Clinic at 7:00 pm
    Free to attend – Please RSVP to: info@aguilaramp.com
    1x1instajamban.

okcrum, blastoff, Marial and 5 others like this.
  2. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I wish the Free Form Funky Freqs would tour out here to California and they could do clinics along the way too!

blastoff likes this.
  3. dairyman3833

dairyman3833

Aug 19, 2010
    Chicago
    Im not allowed to say really.
    Hell yeah hieronymous, I feel ya. Wish they would have these types of things in Chicago. Would go in a heartbeat! Damn this cat can play too. Love Aguilar amps and pedals. Want to upgrade my old half broken SWR 750x to the Aguilar DB 751 (as that's my all time favorite pristine amp) around tax time but hospital bills came in unexpectedly. Totally regretting paying them now. I mean I still have $7356 left to go. I swear they just tack on stuff to the bill, like paying $150 for the cheap Scott's tissue toilet paper they use in your hospital room!

4. Brio

Brio Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Kansas City
    Ok, I'm scouring youtubes trying to find examples of Jamaaladeen using a VI but not coming up with anything. Anyone?

5. Here you go.

Just for kicks, here's a video of him playing a DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe:

hieronymous likes this.
  6. Brio

Brio Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Kansas City
    Awesome, thank you. I'd seen the video with Vernon and another one where he's playing the hell out of a Squier CV P. Good stuff.

Matthew Fisher likes this.
  7. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Yeah, thanks for those! I had seen pics of him with the Bass VI on Facebook but not video. And that Free Form Funky Freqs vid just makes me want to see them live that much more!

I remember once he posted a pic on Facebook with some of his basses - many Squiers - and he said something about liking that he could own a bunch of different basses - here's one quote I found:

"This is the "Bass du jour" Black Fender Jazz. I am really grateful that I came up with this idea to have all of these Fender basses as part of my back line. Truly all I need. It's quite fascinating and exciting to play a different Fender P or Jazz bass every single night. They are such a standard and never ever ever let me down. I have been rolling like this for 5 years now. Never a problem at the airport anymore. At least concerning transportation of a bass guitar. Thank God for the maturity and seasoning being involved in this business. Remember you have to establish what is right and correct for you. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

Kind of an interesting statement - not sure about the airport comment - maybe that Fenders are durable and travel well? Anyway, he is a fun person to follow on Facebook, I think he posts himself (rather than a staff person like many).

Matthew Fisher likes this.