1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar Amplification Announces the SL 212 Bass Cabinet

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Jan 2, 2018.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    NEW YORK, NY — Aguilar Amplification is pleased to announce the SL 212 bass cabinet. The SL 212 joins its little brother, the SL 112 as part of Aguilar’s SL line of cabinets; the first super lightweight bass cabinets with no compromise in tone.

The SL 212 offers an unprecedented balance of performance and weight. At only 45 lbs. (20.41 kg), this 4 ohm cabinet handles 500 watts RMS. With a frequency response of 37 Hz–16 kHz, the SL 212 provides the deep lows, articulate midrange and smooth treble for which Aguilar is known for.

The SL 212 also features two custom-voiced woofers with Neodymium magnets and a phenolic tweeter with variable level control. The cabinet includes one Neutrik Speakon and two 1/4” inputs as well as a specially designed crossover. “We spent a lot of time working on the crossover design to arrive at the smoothest possible frequency transitions. The ultra-light ply and subsequent cabinet tuning were also critical factors in achieving the signature tone of the SL 212,” says Dave Boonshoft, President of Aguilar.

The SL 212 is in stores now carries a U.S street price of $1199.00.

EDAE6BB3-BA63-40F4-88AE-F3A745F61C12.

2. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Looks classy.
    Reminds me of the TKS
    14004741185_cc7700dded_o.

bdplaid likes this.
  3. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    reminds me of the Genzler MG212T with a little less wattage. But my Genzler is an awesome cab! so im sure this will sell well.

eff-clef likes this.
  4. Billy Dutton

Billy Dutton

Jul 19, 2015
    Wonder how it stacks with the SL410? Guess I need to look up the dimensions ........

5. Pretty sure it won't.

This is a very nice addition to the sl line.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  6. jam.majors

jam.majors

Mar 24, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    But was it worth it to lose the GS series to get the sl212?
    I don't really care, but it's the internet, so why not gripe?

7. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    California
    Hey Dave Boonshoft, I want one but not at that price per watts which comes out to $2.39 per watt. In contrast, Mesa's Subway 2x10 with 600 watts and neo speakers comes out to $1.66 per watt. GK's neo 212II comes out to $1.04 per watt.

At that price point, it should be able to handle the AG700, particularly since it's a 4ohm cab. Otherwise, it should be priced to $2.00/watt.

Doug Parent likes this.
  8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Exactly, a little late and a little pricey. $799.99-$859.99 is more like it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    NEOBart likes this.
  9. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC
    I'd be super excited about this if it was 700 watts.

NEOBart and ctbass like this.
  10. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    California
    Me too as that would put the $/watt to $1.70 plus some pennies. I agree with Doug that it just doesn't stand out in a crowded market place.

NEOBart likes this.
  11. I also think it is strange to have just released a 700 watt amp, then release a 4 ohm speaker rated to 500 watts.

I'm sure it will handle the ag700 nicely however.

12. How much do you all feel like you need to spend to get good sound and tone and a brand name? I am still in sticker shock! I mean, we all know Aguilar is one of the top players in the bass amplification business but, really? I cannot justify busting my savings account for a status symbol name brand amplifier cab....It's just me, I feel poor.

Doug Parent likes this.
  13. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    $900-$1300 for a 212/410 cabinet that handles 700+watts and is well designed/balanced tonal footprint.

14. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    The Barefaced Super Twin weighs less, handles 1200 watts, and costs $50 less in the US. Why would anyone but the most diehard Aguilar fan buy this cab?

Doug Parent likes this.
  15. HLH2k1

HLH2k1

Apr 19, 2016
    Nice, but why only one Speakon (when there are two 1/4 TS)?

16. 4 Strings Good

4 Strings Good

Mar 6, 2014
    "...for which Aguilar is known for"? FFS, if you're introducing a hotly anticipated product and selling it for $1200 street can't you at least hire a proofreader? I know grammar isn't of paramount importance to everyone but if you purport to be a top player in the market it's on you to make sure your press release doesn't sound like it's written by a 10-year-old.

matante likes this.
  17. 4 Strings Good

4 Strings Good

Mar 6, 2014
    Add at least another hundred bucks for the cover, which isn't included (SL112 cover costs $109; see below). The Mesa Subway series includes carry bags and covers for their heads and amps. Steep street price and cheaping out on the cover is kind of insulting. At least to this native New Yorker.

Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 5.36.13 PM.

Daniel Piper likes this.