1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Featured AGUILAR AMPLIFICATION ANNOUNCES THE TONE HAMMER® 700 SUPER LIGHT AMPLIFIER

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Nov 1, 2018.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    New York, NY — Aguilar Amplification, manufacturer of high-quality amplifiers, speaker cabinets, pickups and effects pedals for bassists, is pleased to announce the Tone Hammer® 700 amplifier. The Tone Hammer 700 joins the Tone Hammer 350 and 500 as part of the enormously popular Tone Hammer series of amplifiers.

Giving the Tone Hammer 700 its flexible tone-shaping capabilities is Aguilar’s Tone Hammer preamp, the same preamp used in the Tone Hammer D.I./preamp pedal, which has become a favorite of bass players all over the world.

The 4.9 lb. (2.22 kg) Tone Hammer 700 delivers 700 continuous watts @ 4 or 2.67 ohms, 350 watts @ 8 ohms and features bass, treble and fully sweepable midrange controls. The Drive control utilizes Aguilar’s proprietary AGS circuit which adds subtle distortion and midrange punch to the sound.

The Tone Hammer 700 also features a series effects loop, XLR balanced output and two rear panel speakon outputs. Universal mains means that this amp is ready to travel anywhere in the world – just plug and play!

The Tone Hammer 700 is shipping now.

th-700-front-opt.

th-700-back-opt.

frankzap, TalHaz, mark beem and 2 others like this.
  2. I'm sure this sounds great, but the staggered positions and ordering of the EQ controls are a little perplexing, and probably a bit challenging to dial in on the fly during in a gig. Just a thought..

Jon Muir and Fergie Fulton like this.
  3. DBLClick

DBLClick Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Manassas, Va.
    What about new cabs to match the output.

SteveHeissner likes this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    They likely had to do that because of the smaller size.

5. punchdrunk

punchdrunk Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2013
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I’m excited about this one. I may have to put my DB750 on the chopping block to get one.

Sav'nBass likes this.
  6. CutlassI

CutlassI

Sep 20, 2017
    Well.. For sure this one will be easier to carry..;);)

bass nitro and punchdrunk like this.
  7. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    What's up with the 2.67 Ohms rating at 2 ohms ? Why not just make it 2 ohms so you can use two 4 ohm cabs ?

Jon Muir likes this.
  8. The staggering yes, but the ordering is what throws me off. Bass-mid-treble in one line and in that order (or reversed) would be a bit easier to follow.

9. rohi

rohi Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I've always liked the sound of Aguilar heads, but the layout throws me off. I can't really get on board with the FX loop and DI on the front.

Todd LaCasse and Jon Muir like this.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I didn't know how to use this smart phone when I got it either. Funny thing... now I do. ;)

John101, jcerio, McFarlin and 14 others like this.
  11. SlimBaixo

SlimBaixo

Jan 23, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    The DB cab series has 3 amps that can match the output and 1 in the SL series.

12. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    It's a bigger 350/500. What am I missing besides I should have one for loaner test. Will be done with my eval and submit findings in a detailed report. Say 5-7 years, just to be thorough....

13. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC
    Why would you do this to me?!?!

14. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Tone hammers are very intuitive to use, and dialing in my sound is simple.
    It remains the same pretty much all the time except for the drive, which depending on master volume setting the drive is used to "grease " the sound.

As i use mainly one model of bass, the input gain is set for that instrument, not the room.
    I am not sure i have any situations where i would need a 700 model, but i am always willing to try one and see.

15. Anyone else wondering if they're going to do away with the AG700 in favor of this?

16. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC
    You talking like Aguilar or owners of AG700's? Because I am considering it. I love my AG, but I would prefer a slightly more tubey sound. Also I like the idea of a sweepable mid over low and hi mid knobs.

17. bass151

bass151

Mar 10, 2012
    So nobody has an issue that it's only 350 watts at 8 ohms?

18. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    My Genzler head is the same way. Always wondered why it wasn't 2 ohms exactly

19. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    I would say that it’s pretty unusual for an amp to NOT deliver half the rated power at 8 ohms as it does at 4 ohms.

Possibly/probably because there are performance trade-offs for going that low in impedance. 2 ohm capability is an impressive technical feat (lots of current & heat going on!) rather than something I would assume that any amp would do. 2.67 ohms allows for the combination of one 8 ohm and one 4 ohm cab, which is handy.

20. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Latvia, Riga
    Could be really something very nice, but can't say more, because not yet had a chance to try out.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018