1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar Amplification Introduces Its First Micro Pedal - The DB 925 Bass Preamp

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Jan 14, 2020.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    NEW YORK, NY — Inspired by its predecessor, the legendary DB 924, this discrete all-FET preamp delivers powerful broadband boost in a lightweight, space saving micro housing. Its musically sculpted two-band EQ enhances any bass you run through it, adding body and weight to your low-end while opening your high-end. With its compact design and responsive controls, the DB 925 is the perfect gigging solution for musicians on the go.

The DB 925 Bass Preamp will begin shipping March 2020 with a U.S. street price of $149.00.
    namm2020b-013-Edit-Edit.jpg

2. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Loved the 924. Glad to finally see its return, with option to plug power in.

Would much prefer larger knobs. With 18bs boost/cut on tap, it'll be probably be a pain to dial precisely by twisting those little things.

3. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    No volume or mid control? I mean, I get that it's broadband boost, but I live and die by my mid control. And with that much boost, you'd think you'd want a way to control unity gain.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    gscroggin likes this.
  4. basso_profundo

basso_profundo

Mar 12, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Awesome! I tend to get lost in "Forever Tweaking Knobs Land" when there are a lot EQ options, so I prefer limited but usable controls. And I like mini-sized pedals - can't wait to hear this one...

5. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I think its boost only.
    But I agree about those knobs.

StayLow likes this.
  6. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Yes, without a volume control it's very problematic for me too. A non-starter actually.

The DB924 had a volume knob.

It's a great preamp even w/o mids control. He also designed the Sadowsky, if I recall correctly, which is also 2-band and at the same EQ points, but boost only so even more limited. Some prefer that.

EDIT: Apparently the DB925 may be boost only as well. I can't recall if the 924 was boost only. Come to think of it, I believe it was. Too late to edit my post above.

7. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I think a volume knob would have been good. If you are using it more like a tone shaper tool, and not so much like an effect that you kick on, then the lack of volume is way less of a concern.

Many, many of the best sounding preamps in the world are boost only and many don't have a mid control. The broadband part makes them VERY musical, and kind of hard to get a bad tone out of them.

jacoby75 likes this.
  8. Z-Bass

Z-Bass

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Having owned a DB924 a while back, this is a nice update. The preamp does sound great and the ability to power it and shut it off and on are a big plus. The DB924 was battery only (18v to boot!!) so if you didn't want to use it you would either have to disconnect from your setup or have it routed through a bypass loop. I can't remember but I don't think there was a battery compartment either. So now more user friendly. The old box was probably unnecessarily big. I can see this being used to trigger a nice slap tone but as others have noted, the lack of a volume may be problematic. The knob size isn't that big of a deal to me; I think once you have it dialed in, it'll be more set and forget.

9. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    At practice the other night, I was actually had a similar thought - thinking about The DB925 as a kind of "slap tone" pedal.

You could make a slick little board with two or three of these for different tones you could switch in between. Might be very nice in an amp-less type rig, especially in a variety band situation where you want to get to different tones for different songs.

10. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I don't see it as the type of pedal you turn on/off. It's basically to make your passive bass active, like the preamp in a Stingray. Maybe it has limited appeal, but as long as it's good at what it's designed for, I respect that they're not trying to please everyone with this pedal.

Jefenator and mexicant like this.
  11. monkeyland

monkeyland Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Endorsing artist: Curt Mangan Strings, JH Audio
    Can it use a battery?

12. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Why do the knobs have to be so small?

StayLow likes this.
  13. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Mar 26, 2011
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    This would add some butt to my passive jazz bass.
    Very cool.

14. bradtv

bradtv Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2019
    I thought the exact same thing. My JBass is only 7 moths old and is still settling in, I’m hoping to add a bit of warmth and darkness.

15. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    If you need the volume control, the Sadowsky preamp has it. The EQ points are basically the same, as far as I can tell. If there are any other differences I’d be curious to know.

hennessybass likes this.
  16. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    The EQ points are the same, as is probably most or all of the design.

"It all started back in the mid-90s with a preamp designed by freelance bassist Dave Boonshoft and engineer Alex Aguilar, who had previously collaborated with Roger Sadowsky on his bass guitars' preamps." Musicradar - Aguilar Tone Hammer 700