Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

aguilar amps and cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Haley, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I currently own an swr bass 750 head with a swr 4-10 cab . I like this rig but I'm really interested in the aguilar gear. I'm thinking about the db 359 head. Is it loud enough? It's rated at 200 watts.
    Also whats the word on the 112 cabinets?

2. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Jeff, there is no way that the Aguilar 359 can even begin to compete with the SWR 750 for volume. But tone is VERY subjective and for some the Ag tone may be heaven and for someone else it may not be their cup of tea. I really think that you will need to play through the Ag to see if it's what you are looking for. I've noticed quite a few listed on Bassgear.com and Harmony-Central for sale.

As far as the cabs are concerned I've really only tried, and own, an Aguilar GS410. It's a wonderful cab and the one that really did it for me after a fairly exhaustive search. I was up at BassNW last weekend and talked to Aaron about the 112. He said that it was really along the same lines, tonewise, as all of the Aguilar line. That sounds like something that I'd be interested in and definately worth a listen.

I'm very impressed with Aguilar's response to emails and customer service.

3. Really!?! Keep in mind that the Aguilar is 200 watts of TUBE, not solid state. Of course being an aguilar owner I'm sure you'd know that. I tried out the DB 359 one time through an Aguilar 410 and it shook the store big time. Now I haven't tried the 750 but I've tried other higher watt solid state amps and they're loud too, but the Aguilar sound was also very huge.

I'd be surprised if the Aguilar couldn't hold it's own against a SWR 750 , or at least keep pretty darn close. But then again I don't have too much experience with these two pieces of equipment.

However, as Jerry J mentioned, tone is everything, and personally I would much prefer the sound of warm tubes to the clickity clack of the California Hi-Fi sound. That being said, both amp companies are top of the line and you can't miss with either, it's just all preference.

Cheers.

4. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    when I demo'd the 359 plugged into an eden 410xlt, , I was very impressed by its output. I would compare it to maybe 600 watts of SWR.

aside: do you find that when you have a sound that you really like, that you don't find yourself playing as loudly as you did before?? When it sounds sweet, you don't need as much?? Just a thought...

For a compromise, try the Aguilar DB750.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Did you try the Ag and the SWR into the same cab? The XLT is one of the most efficient 4-10s out there. If you didn't try them into the same cab--and I admit I haven't, that's why I'm wondering--that could account for some of your volume perception. A 3 dB difference in efficiency is effectively close to the difference between 200 W and 400.

6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    No, that comparison is based on my previous experience with SWR, an SM-900+Gol.2+Big Ben. Not as much, perhaps, as the 900, but it sure filled the 410 nicely. If I ever got a non-rock gig, I would trade in my DB728 for a DB359, and I think it would be plenty. :cool: